Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized facility in Desoto, Texas. We gave it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack grade. You could definitely do worse than this nursing home. The best part of this facility's report card is its remarkable inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Desoto senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall score, we gave this nursing home an A for our inspections rating. This score is far better than the facility's overall rating. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this nursing home a B in our long-term care category. This is one of our more favorable grades. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 99.492386 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. There are a variety of criteria included in this grade. Many of these datapoints reflect the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This figure is far below the national average. Lastly, although this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this area.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest area is short-term care, which is the final area we analyzed. Sadly, it received an F for this category. Despite several acceptable scores in other areas, this score is nevertheless of a concern so we wanted to draw your attention to it. Our short-term care scores are based on the facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Considering its score in this category, we weren't surprised to find that this facility is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the figures we assessed. The last item we assessed in this area is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who have suffered a fall leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents that have experienced a UTI. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are typically used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 4.84% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 93.69% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Crescent Medical Center LancasterAcute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away2600 West Pleasant Run Road Lancaster Texas 75146Physician(972) 230-8888
- Methodist Charlton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.9 miles away3500 W Wheatland Road Dallas Texas 75237Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 947-7777
- Methodist Dallas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.72 miles away1441 North Beckley Avenue Dallas Texas 75203Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 947-2879
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center- WaxahachieAcute Care Hospitals 12.29 miles away2400 N Interstate Highway 35e Waxahachie Texas 75165Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 923-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.16 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.3 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Childrens Medical Ctr of DallasChildrens 13.79 miles away1935 Medical District Drive Dallas Texas 75235Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 456-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 13.97 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Desoto Regional Dialysis Center LLC1.29 miles away2651 Bolton Boone Drive Building B Desoto Texas 75115CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 780-5991
- Fmc of Pleasant Run Dialysis1.68 miles away900 N. Polk Street #146 Desoto Texas 75115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (972) 228-8780
- Liberty Dialysis - Lancaster2.15 miles away3250 W Pleasant Run Road Suite 280 Lancaster Texas 75146CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 230-7778
- Regional Dialysis Center of Lancaster LLC2.68 miles away2500 W Pleasant Run Rd Suite 100 Lancaster Texas 75146Dialysis Stations: 24 (972) 274-0192
- Lancaster Dialysis2.74 miles away2424 West Pleasant Run Lancaster Texas 75146Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 223-9292
- Liberty Dialysis - Charlton2.97 miles away3571 W Wheatland Road Suite 103 Dallas Texas 75237CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (469) 518-5731
- Liberty Dialysis - Duncanville3 miles away1038 Us Highway 67 Duncanville Texas 75137CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 302-0238
- Duncanville Dialysis3.06 miles away270 E Highway 67, Suite 100 Duncanville Texas 75137Dialysis Stations: 16 (972) 296-4911