Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized facility in Desoto, Texas. This is a fine nursing home. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a quality grade. We actually ranked it as the top nursing home in Desoto. We were also pleased to find that this place did not have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area generally have few of these severe deficiencies. This place was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies an imminent threat to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's quality category scores came in the area of short-term care. We gave them one of our more favorable grades in that area, with a score of B. Short-term care grades are generally used to grade a facility's rehabilitation services. To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must offer higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. It doesn't look like this facility provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the number of patients that returned home from the facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
This facility's next best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. While this didn't quite match its scores in some of the categories discussed above, this is still a decent score. Our nursing rating analyzes quite a few datapoints, most of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This facility provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat concerning figure which is well below the national average. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures. Although this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it did very well in this metric. This is typically a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a resident more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our next area, this facility was awarded an acceptable long-term care score of B-. In a long-term care environment, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. After looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 99.187 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is better than most nursing homes. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term residents that have sustained falls resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents which sustained a UTI. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term stay residents which are prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 4.66% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 94.73% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Desoto Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Scores for Desoto, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Desoto, Texas has 3 other nursing homes
- Crescent Medical Center LancasterAcute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away2600 West Pleasant Run Road Lancaster Texas 75146Physician(972) 230-8888
- Methodist Charlton Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.9 miles away3500 W Wheatland Road Dallas Texas 75237Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 947-7777
- Methodist Dallas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.72 miles away1441 North Beckley Avenue Dallas Texas 75203Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 947-2879
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center- WaxahachieAcute Care Hospitals 12.29 miles away2400 N Interstate Highway 35e Waxahachie Texas 75165Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 923-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Heart and Vascular HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.16 miles away621 North Hall Street Dallas Texas 75226Proprietary(214) 820-0670
- Baylor University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.3 miles away3500 Gaston Ave Dallas Texas 75246Voluntary non-profit - Church(214) 820-0111
- Childrens Medical Ctr of DallasChildrens 13.79 miles away1935 Medical District Drive Dallas Texas 75235Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 456-7000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center UptownAcute Care Hospitals 13.97 miles away2727 East Lemmon Avenue Building I Dallas Texas 75204Proprietary(214) 443-3000
- Desoto Regional Dialysis Center LLC1.29 miles away2651 Bolton Boone Drive Building B Desoto Texas 75115CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 780-5991
- Fmc of Pleasant Run Dialysis1.68 miles away900 N. Polk Street #146 Desoto Texas 75115CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (972) 228-8780
- Liberty Dialysis - Lancaster2.15 miles away3250 W Pleasant Run Road Suite 280 Lancaster Texas 75146CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 230-7778
- Regional Dialysis Center of Lancaster LLC2.68 miles away2500 W Pleasant Run Rd Suite 100 Lancaster Texas 75146Dialysis Stations: 24 (972) 274-0192
- Lancaster Dialysis2.74 miles away2424 West Pleasant Run Lancaster Texas 75146Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 223-9292
- Liberty Dialysis - Charlton2.97 miles away3571 W Wheatland Road Suite 103 Dallas Texas 75237CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (469) 518-5731
- Liberty Dialysis - Duncanville3 miles away1038 Us Highway 67 Duncanville Texas 75137CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 302-0238
- Duncanville Dialysis3.06 miles away270 E Highway 67, Suite 100 Duncanville Texas 75137Dialysis Stations: 16 (972) 296-4911