Desoto Healthcare Center is an average-sized nursing home in Southaven, Mississippi. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B-. A grade of this caliber requires some decent marks. This facility has some things going for it. The best part of this facility's report card is is its inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Desoto Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Southaven senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Mississippi Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Southaven, Mississippi Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Southaven, Mississippi Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its relatively modest overall grade, we gave this nursing home an A- for our inspections rating. This is far more impressive than the facility's overall rating. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report, which is still very impressive. One deficiency isn't necessarily anything to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's better category scores was in the area of long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B. It actually outpaced most nursing homes in this area. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.3266 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Desoto Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a solid grade in the area of short-term care, with a grade of B-. In determining our short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. It doesn't look like this facility provided information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
The next area we scored was nursing. For that category, we awarded this facility a C. Our nursing score is largely based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It scored well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Desoto Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 10.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 3.39% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 2.89% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 21.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 1.78% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 93.49% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 18.69% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence. Many believe this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 17.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 2.16 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 17.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 15.26 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Desoto Healthcare Center, 67.34% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.28 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 11.28 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.3 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 11.68 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Methodist Healthcare - Olive Branch HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.69 miles away4250 Bethel Road Olive Branch Mississippi 38654Voluntary non-profit - Private(662) 932-9000
- Regional One HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.77 miles away877 Jefferson Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Hospital District or Authority(901) 545-7928
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.12 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 14.71 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Rcg Southaven0.54 miles away7318 Southcrest Pkwy Southaven Mississippi 38671CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (662) 349-2548
- Fmc South Airways, LLC1.66 miles away5484 Airways Blvd Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 29 (901) 345-5755
- Deschutes Dialysis, LLC2.12 miles away5247 Airways Blvd Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 13 (901) 345-0671
- Davita State Line3.18 miles away2049 E Shelby Drive Memphis Tennessee 38119CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (901) 348-1931
- Fmc Graceland3.83 miles away1200 Farrow Street Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (901) 398-1163
- Memphis South Dialysis4.43 miles away1205 Marlin Road Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 346-6637
- Nra-Memphis (South)4.47 miles away4185 Pace Rd Memphis Tennessee 38116CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (901) 345-8649
- Fmc Whitehaven4.65 miles away4115 South Plaza Drive Memphis Tennessee 38116Dialysis Stations: 33 (901) 398-6388