Desert Haven Care Center is in Phoenix, Arizona. This city is one of the largest cities in the nation with has 1,312,922 people. We gave this facility a B- overall, which is a decent score. This is comparable with the city grade in Phoenix, which is a B. Even in a city of 11 nursing homes, this one looks like a fine selection. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection grade, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Desert Haven Care Center
- Nursing Home
- For people with disabilities
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Phoenix senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Mental Health
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
It should also be noted that this nursing home's inspection score outpaced its overall score. In fact, we gave it a B+ for its inspections rating, which is a very solid score. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient health or safety. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given an impressive grade in our long-term care category. We awarded this facility an above average grade of B+ in that category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening health condition for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home does not roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Desert Haven Care Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ in that category, which is one of our better scores. Our nursing score weighs several datapoints, most of which are associated with levels of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's worst area was short-term care, which is the last category we analyzed. In this category, we awarded this facility a grade of D. In computing our short-term care ratings, we assess a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is generally a solid measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Desert Haven Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Desert Haven Care Center, 2.82% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who developed pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Desert Haven Care Center, 0.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. More supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Desert Haven Care Center, 1.18% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Desert Haven Care Center, 31.55% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Desert Haven Care Center, 34.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Desert Haven Care Center, 0.91% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Desert Haven Care Center, 100% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Desert Haven Care Center, 24.4% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Desert Haven Care Center, 23.26% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Desert Haven Care Center, 23.26% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Phoenix, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Phoenix, Arizona has 10 other nursing homes
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 1.1 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- Banner - University Medical Center PhoenixAcute Care Hospitals 2.19 miles away1111 East Mcdowell Road Phoenix Arizona 85006Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 239-2000
- St Luke's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.25 miles away1800 East Van Buren Street Phoenix Arizona 85006Proprietary(602) 251-8156
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.18 miles away350 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85013Voluntary non-profit - Church(602) 406-5001
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- John C. Lincoln North Mountain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.63 miles away250 East Dunlap Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85020Voluntary non-profit - Private(602) 331-5862
- Pediatric Dialysis Center of Phoenix LLC0.12 miles away2545 East Thomas Road Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85016Dialysis Stations: 2 (602) 957-1648
- Phoenix Childrens Hospital- Dialysis Center0.94 miles away1920 E Cambridge Rd Ste 102 Phoenix Arizona 85016Dialysis Stations: 6 (602) 933-3220
- Arcadia Dialysis Center (Fmc)1.02 miles away4021 N. 30th Street Phoenix Arizona 85016CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (602) 957-2142
- Maricopa Medical Ctr - Dialysis1.55 miles away2525 E Roosevelt St Phoenix Arizona 85008CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 11 (602) 344-1601
- Papago Dialysis (Dva)1.93 miles away5115 East Thomas, Suite #115 Phoenix Arizona 85018Dialysis Stations: 13 (602) 956-1831
- Evergreen Park Dialysis2.35 miles away926 E Mc Dowell Rd Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85006Dialysis Stations: 20 (602) 252-1418
- Fresenius Kidney Care Desert Sage2.97 miles away4901 W Mcdowell Road Suite 120 Phoenix Arizona 85035Dialysis Stations: 25 (602) 272-3116
- Southwest Kidney/Davita-Phoenix Home Dialysis (Dva)3.11 miles away5115 E Thomas Rd Ste 100 Phoenix Arizona 85018Dialysis Stations: 1 (602) 840-0012