Desert Haven Care Center is in Phoenix, Arizona. This city is one of the largest cities in the nation with has 1,312,922 people. This is a quality nursing home with a B overall. This was right in line with the city grade in Phoenix. Even in a city with 23 nursing homes, this one turns out to be a respectable option. If you look further down this page, you can see this nursing home's category scores, which are also quite good.
Desert Haven Care Center
- Nursing Home
- For people with disabilities
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Mental Health
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in nursing, where it received an A-. There are a host of datapoints included in this category. Many of these datapoints are tied to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This facility also performed well in inspections. In fact, it earned a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that area with an B+. Few facilities with an overall score in this range performed as well in multiple categories. Our inspection scores are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Desert Haven Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the category of short-term care, where it was given a score of B. It outpaced most facilities in this category. In our short-term care score, we strive to create a sound measure for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. We were not able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded is long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a strong grade of B. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.00333 percent of its residents, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Desert Haven Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Desert Haven Care Center, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Desert Haven Care Center, 2.25% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term residents who had a fall resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Desert Haven Care Center, 1.58% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who have had a UTI. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric may be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Desert Haven Care Center, 11.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Desert Haven Care Center, 16.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Desert Haven Care Center, 2.87% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Desert Haven Care Center, 81.19% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Desert Haven Care Center, 12.86% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Desert Haven Care Center, 23.01% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Desert Haven Care Center, 23.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for Phoenix, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Phoenix, Arizona has 22 other nursing homes
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 1.1 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- Banner - University Medical Center PhoenixAcute Care Hospitals 2.19 miles away1111 East Mcdowell Road Phoenix Arizona 85006Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 239-2000
- St Luke's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.25 miles away1800 East Van Buren Street Phoenix Arizona 85006Proprietary(602) 251-8156
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.18 miles away350 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85013Voluntary non-profit - Church(602) 406-5001
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.45 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.88 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- John C. Lincoln North Mountain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.63 miles away250 East Dunlap Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85020Voluntary non-profit - Private(602) 331-5862
- Pediatric Dialysis Center of Phoenix LLC0.12 miles away2545 East Thomas Road Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85016Dialysis Stations: 2 (602) 957-1648
- Phoenix Childrens Hospital- Dialysis Center0.94 miles away1920 E Cambridge Rd Ste 102 Phoenix Arizona 85016Dialysis Stations: 6 (602) 933-3220
- Arcadia Dialysis Center (Fmc)1.02 miles away4021 N. 30th Street Phoenix Arizona 85016CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (602) 957-2142
- Maricopa Medical Ctr - Dialysis1.55 miles away2525 E Roosevelt St Phoenix Arizona 85008CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 11 (602) 344-1601
- Papago Dialysis (Dva)1.93 miles away5115 East Thomas, Suite #115 Phoenix Arizona 85018Dialysis Stations: 13 (602) 956-1831
- Evergreen Park Dialysis2.35 miles away926 E Mc Dowell Rd Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85006Dialysis Stations: 20 (602) 252-1418
- Fresenius Kidney Care Desert Sage2.97 miles away4901 W Mcdowell Road Suite 120 Phoenix Arizona 85035Dialysis Stations: 25 (602) 272-3116
- Southwest Kidney/Davita-Phoenix Home Dialysis (Dva)3.11 miles away5115 E Thomas Rd Ste 100 Phoenix Arizona 85018Dialysis Stations: 1 (602) 840-0012