Located in Chandler, Arizona, Desert Cove Nursing Center is one of five nursing homes there. With an B+ overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top third of all nursing homes in the country. As far as we can see, this facility looks like a solid choice for most people. This facility was also given phenomenal scores in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Desert Cove Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in the category of short-term care, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. In forming these short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to devise a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this area is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
Another strong feature for this nursing home is that it was given an above average long-term care score. Indeed, this wound up being its second best category score. In that area, we awarded this facility a B+. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are well cared for. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Desert Cove Nursing Center?
Turning to another of this nursing home's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection rating. In fact, inspections proved to be one of its best category grades. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
The next area we scored is nursing. This nursing home was awarded an above average nursing score in our assessment, with a grade of B. This facility really doesn't have any weak grades. There are numerous data points within this category. Many of these criteria are tied to staffing levels. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Desert Cove Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 2.25% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 1.58% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 11.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 16.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 2.87% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 81.19% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 12.86% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 23.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is important for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 23.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 10.95 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 73.63% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some believe this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Chandler, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Chandler, Arizona has 4 other nursing homes
- Chandler Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.04 miles away1955 West Frye Road Chandler Arizona 85224Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 728-3000
- Banner Desert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away1400 South Dobson Road Mesa Arizona 85202Voluntary non-profit - Private(480) 412-3000
- Mercy Gilbert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.87 miles away3555 South Val Vista Drive Gilbert Arizona 85297Voluntary non-profit - Church(480) 728-8000
- Banner Gateway Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away1900 North Higley Road Gilbert Arizona 85234Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 543-2000
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.38 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.26 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- St Luke's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.52 miles away1800 East Van Buren Street Phoenix Arizona 85006Proprietary(602) 251-8156
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 14.89 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- Chandler Dialysis (Fmc)1.05 miles away912 W Chandler Blvd Bldg a-D Chandler Arizona 85225CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 821-9801
- Southwest Kidney Dialysis - Tempe (Dva)4.44 miles away2149 E Warner Rd Ste 109 & Ste 110 Tempe Arizona 85284CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 730-3531
- Ocotillo Dialysis (Dva)4.64 miles away975 W Chandler Heights Ste 101 Chandler Arizona 85248Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 802-4405
- Sun Lakes Dialysis (Fmc)5.56 miles away9666 E Riggs Rd Ste 143 Chandler Arizona 85248CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (480) 883-1301
- Mesa Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.03 miles away1525 N Gilbert Rd Ste 121 Gilbert Arizona 85234CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 497-1127
- Southwest Mesa Dialysis (Dsi)6.44 miles away1457 W Southern Ave Ste 19 Mesa Arizona 85202Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 894-5411
- Gilbert Dialysis (Fmc)7.17 miles away3511 Mercy Rd Ste 101 Gilbert Arizona 85297CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 857-8338
- Home Dialysis of Mesa (Fmc)7.98 miles away1337 S Gilbert Rd Ste 106 Mesa Arizona 85204Dialysis Stations: 1 (480) 926-9222