Located in Chandler, Arizona, Desert Cove Nursing Center is one of five nursing homes there. We awarded this facility a phenomenal overall grade of A-. As a matter of fact, this is actually ranked among the top three facilities in Chandler. This is really as good of a facility as you'll find. We also gave this facility phenomenal ratings in all four of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Desert Cove Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1750 West Frye Road,
Chandler AZ 85224
54.5% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our short-term care category. Our short-term care scores are critical for patients requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was strong in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A-. Only a select group of facilities received a better grade in this category. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Desert Cove Nursing Center?
Adding to its impressive category grades, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+ for our inspections rating. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
In our last area, this facility also was awarded an excellent nursing grade, with a B+. This completed an elite profile. When calculating a facility's nursing rating, we look at the number of hours nurses spend with patients and the levels of training of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Desert Cove Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients who were given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 3.1% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 80.03% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 73.85% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Chandler, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Chandler, Arizona has 4 other nursing homes
- Chandler Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.04 miles away1955 West Frye Road Chandler Arizona 85224Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 728-3000
- Banner Desert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away1400 South Dobson Road Mesa Arizona 85202Voluntary non-profit - Private(480) 412-3000
- Mercy Gilbert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.87 miles away3555 South Val Vista Drive Gilbert Arizona 85297Voluntary non-profit - Church(480) 728-8000
- Banner Gateway Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away1900 North Higley Road Gilbert Arizona 85234Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 543-2000
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.38 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.26 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- St Luke's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.52 miles away1800 East Van Buren Street Phoenix Arizona 85006Proprietary(602) 251-8156
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 14.89 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- Chandler Dialysis (Fmc)1.05 miles away912 W Chandler Blvd Bldg a-D Chandler Arizona 85225CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 821-9801
- Southwest Kidney Dialysis - Tempe (Dva)4.44 miles away2149 E Warner Rd Ste 109 & Ste 110 Tempe Arizona 85284CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 730-3531
- Ocotillo Dialysis (Dva)4.64 miles away975 W Chandler Heights Ste 101 Chandler Arizona 85248Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 802-4405
- Sun Lakes Dialysis (Fmc)5.56 miles away9666 E Riggs Rd Ste 143 Chandler Arizona 85248CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (480) 883-1301
- Mesa Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.03 miles away1525 N Gilbert Rd Ste 121 Gilbert Arizona 85234CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 497-1127
- Southwest Mesa Dialysis (Dsi)6.44 miles away1457 W Southern Ave Ste 19 Mesa Arizona 85202Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 894-5411
- Gilbert Dialysis (Fmc)7.17 miles away3511 Mercy Rd Ste 101 Gilbert Arizona 85297CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 857-8338
- Home Dialysis of Mesa (Fmc)7.98 miles away1337 S Gilbert Rd Ste 106 Mesa Arizona 85204Dialysis Stations: 1 (480) 926-9222