Located in Chandler, Arizona, Desert Cove Nursing Center is one of four nursing homes there. With an A- overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top third of all nursing homes in the country. This is really as good of a facility as you'll find. This facility was also given strong ratings in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Desert Cove Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Chandler senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is it received a very impressive grade in inspections. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively minor. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to alert you to the fact that this facility was given an elite score of A in our short-term care area. Short-term care grades are generally used to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To offer highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Desert Cove Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given a favorable long-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that category with a grade of B+. Facilities that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 98.74214 percent of its patients. This is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary deaths for the senior population. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The final category we rated is nursing, in which this facility was awarded a grade of B. Believe it or not, this turned out to be this nursing home's least impressive category. A facility could be doing a lot worse when their weakest score still is superior to most other facilities. Our nursing score includes many factors. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Desert Cove Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 8.99% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 1.4% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. However, this statistic could also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 11.79% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 17.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 3.74% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 74.57% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 12.93% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 15.66% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 15.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 11.86 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Desert Cove Nursing Center, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Chandler, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Chandler, Arizona has 3 other nursing homes
- Chandler Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.04 miles away1955 West Frye Road Chandler Arizona 85224Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 728-3000
- Banner Desert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away1400 South Dobson Road Mesa Arizona 85202Voluntary non-profit - Private(480) 412-3000
- Mercy Gilbert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.87 miles away3555 South Val Vista Drive Gilbert Arizona 85297Voluntary non-profit - Church(480) 728-8000
- Banner Gateway Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.57 miles away1900 North Higley Road Gilbert Arizona 85234Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 543-2000
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.38 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.26 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- St Luke's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.52 miles away1800 East Van Buren Street Phoenix Arizona 85006Proprietary(602) 251-8156
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 14.89 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- Chandler Dialysis (Fmc)1.05 miles away912 W Chandler Blvd Bldg a-D Chandler Arizona 85225CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 821-9801
- Southwest Kidney Dialysis - Tempe (Dva)4.44 miles away2149 E Warner Rd Ste 109 & Ste 110 Tempe Arizona 85284CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 730-3531
- Ocotillo Dialysis (Dva)4.64 miles away975 W Chandler Heights Ste 101 Chandler Arizona 85248Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 802-4405
- Sun Lakes Dialysis (Fmc)5.56 miles away9666 E Riggs Rd Ste 143 Chandler Arizona 85248CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (480) 883-1301
- Mesa Dialysis Center (Fmc)6.03 miles away1525 N Gilbert Rd Ste 121 Gilbert Arizona 85234CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 497-1127
- Southwest Mesa Dialysis (Dsi)6.44 miles away1457 W Southern Ave Ste 19 Mesa Arizona 85202Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 894-5411
- Gilbert Dialysis (Fmc)7.17 miles away3511 Mercy Rd Ste 101 Gilbert Arizona 85297CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 857-8338
- Home Dialysis of Mesa (Fmc)7.98 miles away1337 S Gilbert Rd Ste 106 Mesa Arizona 85204Dialysis Stations: 1 (480) 926-9222