Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center is located in Mesa, Arizona. This city is one of the most populated cities in the nation with has 478,404 people. This turns out to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. Indeed, this turned out to be better than many of the facilities in Mesa. This nursing home was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
60 South 58th Street,
Mesa AZ 85206
78.86% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Top Nursing Home in Arizona Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall score, this facility also earned top notch government inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our better grades in that category, with an A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we rated this facility so well is that it received a favorable short-term care score. In fact, short-term care is its second highest category score. In that category, we awarded this facility a score of A. Our short-term care grades are based on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Nursing ratings are primarily based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the last area, this facility was awarded a respectable long-term care grade. Although this isn't quite as good as a few of its other grades, this is still not the end of the world. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to a relatively low 77.85235 percent of its residents, which is several points lower than we expected. Nevertheless, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term stay patients which are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care residents that are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 3.1% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many would argue this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 80.03% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who maintained mobility. Some would argue that mobility is important for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Desert Blossom Health & Rehab Center, 73.85% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Mesa, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Mesa, Arizona has 9 other nursing homes
- Banner Gateway Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.28 miles away1900 North Higley Road Gilbert Arizona 85234Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 543-2000
- Mountain Vista Medical Center, LpAcute Care Hospitals 5.48 miles away1301 South Crismon Road Mesa Arizona 85209Proprietary(480) 358-6100
- Banner Goldfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.17 miles away2050 West Southern Avenue Apache Junction Arizona 85120Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 733-3300
- Mercy Gilbert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.28 miles away3555 South Val Vista Drive Gilbert Arizona 85297Voluntary non-profit - Church(480) 728-8000
- Banner Desert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away1400 South Dobson Road Mesa Arizona 85202Voluntary non-profit - Private(480) 412-3000
- Chandler Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.53 miles away1955 West Frye Road Chandler Arizona 85224Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 728-3000
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- Scottsdale Shea Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.67 miles away9003 East Shea Boulevard Scottsdale Arizona 85260Proprietary(480) 323-3000
- Power Road Dialysis (Dva)1.28 miles away301 S Power Road Suite 104 Mesa Arizona 85206Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 641-1193
- East Valley Dialysis (Fmc)1.31 miles away135 S Power Rd Ste 103 Mesa Arizona 85206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (480) 985-4911
- Southwest Kidney Dialysis - Gilbert (Dva)3.78 miles away5222 E Baseline Rd Ste 104 Gilbert Arizona 85234CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 832-6996
- South Mountain Dialysis Center (Fmc)3.92 miles away26 E Baseline Ste 142 Phoenix Arizona 85042CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (602) 268-8158
- Home Dialysis of Mesa (Fmc)5 miles away1337 S Gilbert Rd Ste 106 Mesa Arizona 85204Dialysis Stations: 1 (480) 926-9222
- Mesa Dialysis (Dsi)5 miles away1337 S Gilbert Rd Ste 109 Mesa Arizona 85204Dialysis Stations: 16 (480) 926-1906
- Mountain Vista Dialysis of Arizona (Dva)5.78 miles away10238 E Hampton Ave Ste 108 Mesa Arizona 85209CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 357-0366
- Southwest Kidney Central Mesa (Dva)6.46 miles away1134 E University Dr Ste 101 Mesa Arizona 85203CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 464-3851