Delmar Gardens West is located in Chesterfield, Missouri. This city has 59,223 people. This nursing home received an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. Chesterfield received a more impressive city grade of B, so there are far better options in the city worth looking at. Surprisingly, we were able to give this facility some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can find more information about below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Delmar Gardens West
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Chesterfield senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a poor overall score, we gave it a B+ for our inspections category. This was due to the nursing home receiving a quality inspection report this year. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid nursing homes that had a long list of severe deficiencies. This nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We also would like to point out that this nursing home received an F for its short-term care score. Our short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. As you might expect, we learned that this facility offers significantly less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than the typical facility. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Delmar Gardens West?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is long-term care, in which this facility was given an F. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the facility did not perform well in our measures relating to patient care. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. As it turns out, this facility provided the vaccine to only 73.623184 percent of its residents, which is not a very encouraging sign. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Turning to our final area, this facility really did not perform well in this category either. Due to a rock bottom grade of F in nursing, this is just about as bad as it gets. Nursing grades are based in large part on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Delmar Gardens West Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Delmar Gardens West, 10.93% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Delmar Gardens West, 4.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents who have experienced falls leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Delmar Gardens West, 2.31% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Delmar Gardens West, 19.72% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Delmar Gardens West, 17.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Delmar Gardens West, 1.32% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Delmar Gardens West, 84.06% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Delmar Gardens West, 14.36% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Delmar Gardens West, 10.37% of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Delmar Gardens West, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Delmar Gardens West, 10.37% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Delmar Gardens West, 6.52% of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Delmar Gardens West, 94.43% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Chesterfield, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Chesterfield, Missouri has 6 other nursing homes
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.2 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 10.41 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Town and Country West Dialysis1.68 miles away12855 N 40 Drive Suite l4 Saint Louis Missouri 63141Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 542-0049
- Creve Coeur Dialysis Center3 miles away1009 Executive Pkwy #100 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (314) 434-4770
- Fmc - Creve Coeur3.7 miles away555 N New Ballas #170 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 872-9272
- Nxstage St Louis, LLC3.72 miles away1076 Old Des Peres Road Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 9 (314) 925-2522
- Frontenac Home Dialysis Center4.98 miles away10435 Clayton Rd Suite 201 Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 6 (314) 567-0645
- Ellisville Dialysis Center5.22 miles away257 Clarkson Road Ballwin Missouri 63011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 207-7401
- Saint Louis West Dialysis5.57 miles away400 North Lindberg Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (314) 989-0886
- Saint Louis West Pd Dialysis6.67 miles away9632 Olive Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63132Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 994-9311