Delmar Gardens South is a large nursing home located in Saint Louis, Missouri. It looks like this nursing home is among the highest-rated facilities we looked at. This facility received one of the top ratings we offer. In spite of Saint Louis having 23 nursing homes available, this facility stood out as a superb selection. Headlining this nursing home's stellar profile is its inspection rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Delmar Gardens South
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Saint Louis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Saint Louis, Missouri Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home also performed well in our inspections category, which is based on the facility's inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it an A in this area. Arguably the most important factor we look at in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better grades in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate profile, this nursing home also was awarded an excellent short-term care score, with a score of A. With our short-term care score, we strive to craft a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze the nursing home's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Delmar Gardens South?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was strong in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a score of A-. Not many nursing homes received a better grade in this area. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 79.75078 percent of its patients, which is slightly lower than we anticipated. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
In the last category we scored, this facility received an impressive grade grade of B+ in our nursing category. With this grade, the nursing home rounded out a very impressive report card. Our nursing grade is largely associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Delmar Gardens South Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Delmar Gardens South, 9.2% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Delmar Gardens South, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Delmar Gardens South, 3.29% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay patients that have had urinary tract infections. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint could be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Delmar Gardens South, 20.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Delmar Gardens South, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Delmar Gardens South, 5.4% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Delmar Gardens South, 86.07% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Delmar Gardens South, 15.8% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Delmar Gardens South, 13.34% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Delmar Gardens South, 1.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Delmar Gardens South, 13.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Delmar Gardens South, 13.27 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Delmar Gardens South, 71.67% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 22 other nursing homes
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 2.05 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.55 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.97 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.3 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 11.4 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.75 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.32 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Fmc - Tesson Ferry Dialysis0.67 miles away13134 Tesson Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 843-7390
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis1.67 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979
- Home Dialysis South1.83 miles away5201 Mid America Plaza Suite 2200 Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 286-0770
- Fmc - Arnold2.94 miles away2194 Michigan Ave Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 287-1160
- South County Dialysis Center3.55 miles away4145 Union Road Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 894-1851
- South Towne Square Dialysis Clinic3.93 miles away11107 South Towne Square Saint Louis Missouri 63123CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (314) 894-3400
- Arnold Dialysis4.79 miles away102 Richardson Xing Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 8 (636) 467-5619
- Crestwood Dialysis5.24 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322