Located in Fenton, Missouri, Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley is one of just a few nursing homes in the city. Sporting an overall score of C, this is likely a middle of the road nursing home. At the end of the day, this facility looks like a solid choice for quite a few people. The best part of this nursing home's report card is is its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
#1 Arbor Terrace,
Fenton MO 63026
77.36% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Best Nursing Home in Fenton, Missouri Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. Inspection ratings weigh several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's higher category scores was in the area of short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B+. Our short-term care grades are arguably more critical for people requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. It doesn't look like this facility provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this area is the number of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley?
Another strength of this facility is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a score of D. Our nursing grade is primarily based on a facility's level of nurse staffing. This place offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This place fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded is long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this area, which is a poor grade. This is certainly a major concern. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in long-term care likely don't provide the type of consistent 24/7 care that some other facilities provide. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to only 85.57505 percent of its residents, which is several points lower than we expected. To our surprise, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which sustained falls which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who had a UTI. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 4.19% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 88.53% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating. Some argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 1.98 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 4.58 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.7 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.1 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 12.31 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.89 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Bowles Avenue Dialysis1.68 miles away1011 Bowles Avenue Suite 210 Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 14 (636) 326-7130
- Fenton Dialysis Center2.52 miles away850 Horan Dr. Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 305-1144
- Fmc - Tesson Ferry Dialysis4.39 miles away13134 Tesson Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 843-7390
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis4.49 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979
- Home Dialysis South5.83 miles away5201 Mid America Plaza Suite 2200 Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 286-0770
- Crestwood Dialysis5.84 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322
- Fmc - Arnold6.15 miles away2194 Michigan Ave Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 287-1160
- Nxstage St Louis, LLC6.89 miles away1076 Old Des Peres Road Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 9 (314) 925-2522