Located in Fenton, Missouri, Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley is one of just a few nursing homes in the city. Sporting an overall score of C, this is likely a middle of the road nursing home. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Fenton, which is admittedly a little below average nationally. The best part of this place's profile is is its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its nearly flawless health inspection reports in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this facility a grade of B+ in our short-term care category. This is one of our more favorable grades. In determining our short-term care grades, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This category is generally a useful measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. It doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of C. There are a host of subcategories within this area. Many of these criteria relate to staffing levels. This particular facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is far below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It scored well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we rated is long-term care, which was this facility's worst category. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this area, which is certainly concerning. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 86.85446 percent of its residents. This is pretty significantly lower than the national average. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who have experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 4.11% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 88.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility. Some would argue that mobility is vital to patients well-being.
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 72.5% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living usually correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 1.98 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 4.58 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.7 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.1 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 12.31 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.89 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Bowles Avenue Dialysis1.68 miles away1011 Bowles Avenue Suite 210 Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 14 (636) 326-7130
- Fenton Dialysis Center2.52 miles away850 Horan Dr. Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 305-1144
- Fmc - Tesson Ferry Dialysis4.39 miles away13134 Tesson Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 843-7390
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis4.49 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979
- Home Dialysis South5.83 miles away5201 Mid America Plaza Suite 2200 Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 286-0770
- Crestwood Dialysis5.84 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322
- Fmc - Arnold6.15 miles away2194 Michigan Ave Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 287-1160
- Nxstage St Louis, LLC6.89 miles away1076 Old Des Peres Road Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 9 (314) 925-2522