Located in Fenton, Missouri, Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley is one of just a few nursing homes in the city. Sporting an overall score of C, this is likely a middle of the road nursing home. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Fenton, which is admittedly a little below average nationally. The best part of this place's profile is is its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Fenton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Fenton, Missouri Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its nearly flawless health inspection reports in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, we gave this facility a grade of B+ in our short-term care category. This is one of our more favorable grades. In determining our short-term care grades, we scrutinize a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This category is generally a useful measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. It doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing grade. We gave this facility an D. There are a number of subcategories included in this category. Many of the factors reflect the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This place provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This number is quite a bit below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at is long-term care, which proved to be this facility's worst area. It received a lowly F for this area, which is obviously very concerning. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category likely don't provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities provide. One of the criteria we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. We were a bit concerned this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to just 88.764046 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 9.2% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents that have pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are an barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 3.29% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 20.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 5.4% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 86.07% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 15.8% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 13.34% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 1.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 13.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 13.27 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Delmar Gardens of Meramec Valley, 71.67% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 1.98 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 4.58 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.7 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.1 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 12.31 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.89 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Bowles Avenue Dialysis1.68 miles away1011 Bowles Avenue Suite 210 Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 14 (636) 326-7130
- Fenton Dialysis Center2.52 miles away850 Horan Dr. Fenton Missouri 63026Dialysis Stations: 18 (636) 305-1144
- Fmc - Tesson Ferry Dialysis4.39 miles away13134 Tesson Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 843-7390
- Rtc-Lamplighter Dialysis4.49 miles away12654 Lamplighter Square Saint Louis Missouri 63128Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 729-7979
- Home Dialysis South5.83 miles away5201 Mid America Plaza Suite 2200 Saint Louis Missouri 63129Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 286-0770
- Crestwood Dialysis5.84 miles away9560 Watson Road Suite A Saint Louis Missouri 63126Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 842-0322
- Fmc - Arnold6.15 miles away2194 Michigan Ave Arnold Missouri 63010Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 287-1160
- Nxstage St Louis, LLC6.89 miles away1076 Old Des Peres Road Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 9 (314) 925-2522