Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur is a large facility located in Saint Louis, Missouri. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber generally indicates some concerning datapoints. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 23 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, you can continue reading to learn more about its category grades. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Saint Louis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home highly overall, we want to draw your attention to its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. It is generally in your best interest to avoid places that have a long list of severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded its second highest category score in the area of short-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of C in this category, which is a decent score. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This area is often a meaningful measure of a facility's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The tricky part is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 6.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility wound up receiving a a terrible score in our long-term care area. It was given a lowly F in this area. Facilities that don't fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 93.37017 percent of its patients. This is slightly lower than we anticipated but still a decent figure. To our surprise, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Moving on to our last category, this nursing home did not fare well in this area either. With a very poor grade of F in nursing, this is about as terrible as it gets. Our nursing score focuses on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 9.2% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients which had a fall which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 3.29% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 20.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 5.4% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients showing symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 86.07% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 15.8% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 13.34% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who maintained mobility. Some argue that mobility is critical to residents' well-being.
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 1.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 13.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 13.27 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Delmar Gardens of Creve Coeur, 71.67% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 22 other nursing homes
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.78 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.53 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.09 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 5.5 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 7.71 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 8.15 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Ssm Health St Clare Hospital - FentonAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away1015 Bowles Fenton Missouri 63026Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 496-2000
- Fmc - Creve Coeur0.68 miles away555 N New Ballas #170 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 872-9272
- Creve Coeur Dialysis Center1.06 miles away1009 Executive Pkwy #100 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (314) 434-4770
- Town and Country West Dialysis2.37 miles away12855 N 40 Drive Suite l4 Saint Louis Missouri 63141Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 542-0049
- Saint Louis West Dialysis2.72 miles away400 North Lindberg Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (314) 989-0886
- Frontenac Home Dialysis Center3.5 miles away10435 Clayton Rd Suite 201 Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 6 (314) 567-0645
- Saint Louis West Pd Dialysis3.57 miles away9632 Olive Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63132Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 994-9311
- Nxstage St Louis, LLC4.84 miles away1076 Old Des Peres Road Saint Louis Missouri 63131Dialysis Stations: 9 (314) 925-2522
- Quality Care Dialysis Centers - Bridgeton5.51 miles away12484 St. Charles Rock Rd Bridgeton Missouri 63044Dialysis Stations: 14 (314) 298-0320