Delaware Valley Veteran's Home is a large government-owned facility in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Sporting an overall grade of A+, this facility is undoubtedly a phenomenal facility. In spite of Philadelphia featuring 20 nursing homes available, this one managed to stand out as a great selection. This facility was also given strong ratings in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Delaware Valley Veteran's Home
- Nursing Home
- For people with disabilities
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
2701 Southampton Rd,
Philadelphia PA 19154
73.39% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being an elite facility overall, this facility excelled in our inspections category, where it received an A+. Very few nursing homes fared this well in this area. Our inspection ratings are tied to several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home received dominant marks in the category of long-term care. For this reason, it was given one of our most impressive grades in that category with a grade of A+. When facilities receive this kind of grade in this category it is usually a good sign for patient care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 99.78541 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Delaware Valley Veteran's Home?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Pennsylvania in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is short-term care, where this nursing home received an A-. This wrapped up a very favorable profile. Few facilities earned an A- or higher in each of our categories. With our short-term care score, we strive to forge a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze a nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Delaware Valley Veteran's Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Delaware Valley Veteran's Home, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Delaware Valley Veteran's Home, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Delaware Valley Veteran's Home, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Delaware Valley Veteran's Home, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Delaware Valley Veteran's Home, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Delaware Valley Veteran's Home, 3.3% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression. Many believe this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Delaware Valley Veteran's Home, 86.27% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Delaware Valley Veteran's Home, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Delaware Valley Veteran's Home, 17.92% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Delaware Valley Veteran's Home, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Delaware Valley Veteran's Home, 17.92 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Scores for Philadelphia, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has 19 other nursing homes
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Lower Bucks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.46 miles away501 Bath Road Bristol Pennsylvania 19007Proprietary(215) 785-9200
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.9 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Virtua Willingboro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.1 miles away218a Sunset Road Willingboro New Jersey 08046Voluntary non-profit - Private(609) 835-2900
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- Davita Neshaminy Dialysis0.88 miles away2 Neshaminy Interplex Drive Building 2, Suite 110 Feasterville Trevose Pennsylvania 19053Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 245-6590
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Greater Northeast1.73 miles away10500 Roosevelt Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19116Dialysis Stations: 15 (215) 673-3923
- Northeast Philadelphia Dialysis Center, LLC2.69 miles away9815 Roosevelt Blvd., Suite 1a Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 330-0494
- Woodhaven Dialysis Center3.14 miles away1336 Bristol Pike, Suite B Bensalem Pennsylvania 19020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 639-1070
- Bensalem Dialysis Center3.14 miles away1336 Bristol Pike Units 12 &13 Bensalem Pennsylvania 19020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (215) 638-8671
- Davita - Grant One Dialysis Center3.26 miles away9475 Roosevelt Boulevard, Suite 9 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 673-0490
- Bristol Dialysis LLC4.72 miles away1900 Frost Road Bristol Pennsylvania 19007CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (215) 785-0382
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Nazareth4.87 miles away2601 Holme Avenue Ground Floor, Marion Building Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 335-0668