Del Mar Convalescent Hospital is one of just two available nursing homes in Rosemead, California. This nursing home turns out to be a decent facility, with an overall grade of B-. Based on our ratings, this place likely wouldn't be a bad choice. The best part of this facility's report card was its exemplary inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Del Mar Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Rosemead senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this facility received a decent overall score is its impeccable health inspections in recent years. We gave them one of our better grades in that area, with an A. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall score, which was decent but certainly not elite. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
This nursing home earned high grades in the category of nursing as well. It received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of B-. Nursing scores are primarily tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, nursing grades also consider quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a good indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses to assist its residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Del Mar Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a respectable score in the category of long-term care, with a C. For prospective residents seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. After we finished assessing the amount of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was short-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of C in this area. With our short-term care assessment, we try to forge a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze the facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 3.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Del Mar Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 12.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that have sustained a fall resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 0.61% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 1.57% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 0% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 0% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 100% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 4.73% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 0% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 14.1% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 90.96% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.35 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.6 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.41 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 5.74 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.77 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- u.s. Renal Care Rosemead Dialysis0.01 miles away3100 Del Mar Avenue Rosemead California 91770CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 288-7860
- Rosemead Dialysis Center0.53 miles away7403 Hellman Avenue Rosemead California 91770Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 280-6161
- Davita-Garfield Hemodialysis Center1.39 miles away118 Hilliard Avenue Monterey Park California 91754CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 288-5796
- Davita-Rosemead Springs Dialysis Center1.92 miles away3212 Rosemead Blvd. El Monte California 91731CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (626) 280-2080
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC1.94 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830
- Fmc-San Gabriel Dialysis Center2.66 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 102 Alhambra California 91803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (626) 457-9002
- Fmc-San Gabriel Valley Pd Clinic2.66 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 204 Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 6 (626) 457-6540
- Davita-Garfield Home Program2.72 miles away228 N. Garfield Avenue, #301 Monterey Park California 91754Dialysis Stations: 4 (626) 288-6379