Del Mar Convalescent Hospital is one of five nursing homes located in Rosemead, California. This is a decent nursing home with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Rosemead. Based on our assessment, this nursing home likely wouldn't be a bad choice. One of the best aspects of this facility's report card is its exemplary inspection rating, which is addressed in the next section.
Del Mar Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
3136 North Del Mar Avenue,
Rosemead CA 91770
91.52% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This nursing home was hit with 10 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Another one of this nursing home's stronger areas was in the category of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B. Nursing scores are mostly associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a patient more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Del Mar Convalescent Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best area was short-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. This is essentially a middle of the pack grade in this category. Our short-term care grade is often used to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation To offer high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 3.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is long-term care, which was this nursing home's weakest area. We awarded this facility a D in this category. Of course, this category hurt the nursing home's overall grade to a certain degree. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Del Mar Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents who developed pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that experienced falls which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who had UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Del Mar Convalescent Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Rosemead, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Rosemead, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.35 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.6 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.41 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 5.74 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.77 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- u.s. Renal Care Rosemead Dialysis0.01 miles away3100 Del Mar Avenue Rosemead California 91770CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 288-7860
- Rosemead Dialysis Center0.53 miles away7403 Hellman Avenue Rosemead California 91770Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 280-6161
- Davita-Garfield Hemodialysis Center1.39 miles away118 Hilliard Avenue Monterey Park California 91754CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 288-5796
- Davita-Rosemead Springs Dialysis Center1.92 miles away3212 Rosemead Blvd. El Monte California 91731CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (626) 280-2080
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC1.94 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830
- Fmc-San Gabriel Dialysis Center2.66 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 102 Alhambra California 91803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (626) 457-9002
- Fmc-San Gabriel Valley Pd Clinic2.66 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 204 Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 6 (626) 457-6540
- Davita-Garfield Home Program2.72 miles away228 N. Garfield Avenue, #301 Monterey Park California 91754Dialysis Stations: 4 (626) 288-6379