Del Amo Gardens Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Torrance, California. With an overall rating of A-, this facility is among the higher-graded nursing homes we assessed. We were not surprised to discover that this turned out to be radically superior to many of the nursing homes in Torrance. We also gave this nursing home strong ratings in each of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Del Amo Gardens Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Torrance senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ long-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. Facilities that excel in this category tend to provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a reliable method to minimize negative health outcomes for the nursing home population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to this nursing home's impressive resume, we gave this facility an A- for inspections. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are quite minor. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Del Amo Gardens Care Center?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. In determining a facility's nursing rating, we assess the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a patient even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we scored was short-term care, in which this nursing home was awarded a B. While this wound up being its poorest category score, this is nevertheless an above average rating. Short-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. It doesn't look like this facility submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Del Amo Gardens Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who experienced a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents who sustained urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents that were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some believe this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many would argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Torrance, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Torrance, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.11 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 1.23 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.57 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.32 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.44 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.29 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.11 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 13.53 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Home Program0.54 miles away23441 Madison Street #320 Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 4 (310) 378-8452
- u.s. Renal Care Skypark Dialysis0.98 miles away3295 Skypark Drive Torrance California 90505CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (310) 539-5091
- Davitatorrance Emerald Dialysis1.13 miles away20821 Hawthorne Blvd Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 214-1715
- u.s. Renal Care Earl Street Dialysis1.31 miles away20911 Earl Street, Suite 160 Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 9 (310) 371-4244
- u.s. Renal Care Torrance Dialysis Center1.5 miles away20430 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (424) 212-5051
- u.s. Renal Care Redondo Beach Dialysis2.38 miles away514 N. Prospect Avenue Redondo Beach California 90277Dialysis Stations: 7 (310) 379-6671
- Davita-Rolling Hills Dialysis2.63 miles away25210 Crenshaw Blvd., Suite 110 Torrance California 90505Dialysis Stations: 27 (310) 530-1180
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Dialysis2.82 miles away4450 182nd Street Redondo Beach California 90278Dialysis Stations: 15 (310) 542-8032