Del Amo Gardens Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Torrance, California. With an overall rating of A-, this facility is among the higher-graded nursing homes we assessed. This is one of the three highest graded facilities in the city. This facility was also given strong grades in all four of our categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Del Amo Gardens Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a great overall score, this nursing home excelled in nursing. We awarded it an A for that area. Nursing scores are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This facility has received near flawless inspections recently. We awarded them an A- in this category. Inspection ratings are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent government inspections. Places that score well in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Del Amo Gardens Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was short-term care. This nursing home was awarded an above average short-term care grade, with a B+ in this area. With our short-term care score, we seek to create a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze a facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored turned out to be this facility's weakest category. Nevertheless, even its worst category would be a highlight for many nursing homes. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in our long-term care category. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 99.50495 percent of its residents, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Del Amo Gardens Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which have sustained a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who experienced a urinary tract infection. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Del Amo Gardens Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Torrance, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Torrance, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.11 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 1.23 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.57 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.32 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.44 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.29 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.11 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 13.53 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Home Program0.54 miles away23441 Madison Street #320 Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 4 (310) 378-8452
- u.s. Renal Care Skypark Dialysis0.98 miles away3295 Skypark Drive Torrance California 90505CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (310) 539-5091
- Davitatorrance Emerald Dialysis1.13 miles away20821 Hawthorne Blvd Torrance California 90503Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 214-1715
- u.s. Renal Care Earl Street Dialysis1.31 miles away20911 Earl Street, Suite 160 Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 9 (310) 371-4244
- u.s. Renal Care Torrance Dialysis Center1.5 miles away20430 Hawthorne Blvd. Torrance California 90503CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (424) 212-5051
- u.s. Renal Care Redondo Beach Dialysis2.38 miles away514 N. Prospect Avenue Redondo Beach California 90277Dialysis Stations: 7 (310) 379-6671
- Davita-Rolling Hills Dialysis2.63 miles away25210 Crenshaw Blvd., Suite 110 Torrance California 90505Dialysis Stations: 27 (310) 530-1180
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Dialysis2.82 miles away4450 182nd Street Redondo Beach California 90278Dialysis Stations: 15 (310) 542-8032