Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility is an average-sized facility located in North Tonawanda, New York. Sporting an overall grade of B+, this facility should work for most prospective residents. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes nationally. This facility's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on North Tonawanda senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in North Tonawanda, New York Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Among this facility's other strengths is its elite nursing grade. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of A-. Nursing grades are largely tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a grade of A- for our short-term care score. In computing our short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed was long-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of C. Even though this ended up being its weakest category rating, this is nevertheless not the end of the world. For prospective residents seeking a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very solid total. This place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 9.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 3.11% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. More supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 2.03% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 13.51% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 13.75% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 90.38% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 15.3% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 14.12% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 14.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 9.74 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Degraff Memorial Hospital-Skilled Nursing Facility, 75.23% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.77 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Niagara Falls Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away621 Tenth Street Niagara Falls New York 14302Voluntary non-profit - Other(716) 278-4000
- Mount St Mary's Hospital and Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.22 miles away5300 Military Road Lewiston New York 14092Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 297-4800
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Eastern Niagara HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.25 miles away521 East Avenue Lockport New York 14094Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 514-5700
- Us Renal Care Tonawanda Dialysis2.1 miles away3161 Eggert Road Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 832-0159
- Davita Northtowns Dialysis Center2.3 miles away4041 Delaware Avenue Ste 150 Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (716) 871-8103
- Us Renal Care Amherst Dialysis3.57 miles away2880, Sheridan Dr Tonawanda New York 14150Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 541-9165
- Fms-Kenmore Artificial Kidney Center4.75 miles away1508 Sheridan Drive Buffalo New York 14217CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (716) 871-9988
- Liberty Rc, Inc.5.61 miles away699 Hertel Ave Buffalo New York 14207Dialysis Stations: 17 (716) 871-4172
- Davita Suburban Dialysis5.65 miles away705 Maple Road Suite 600 Buffalo New York 14221CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (716) 630-6640
- Davita Cleve Hill Dialysis Center6.54 miles away1461 Kensington Avenue Buffalo New York 14215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 831-8892
- Erie County Medical Center7.19 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400