Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center is a large non-profit nursing home in Pompano Beach, Florida. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road grade. This facility seems to have some things going for it. One of the highlights of this facility's profile is its impressive inspection reports, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
401 East Sample Road,
Pompano Beach FL 33064
88.96% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall grade, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for our inspections rating. This is far better than its overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more impressive category grades was in the category of long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B. It actually fared better than most nursing homes in this category. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to provide residents with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccines. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the senior population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center?
An additional reason we rated this facility so highly is that it received an A+ nursing rating. This is as good as it gets in this category. Our nursing score includes several subcategories, many of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is short-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 3.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for treating several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many believe this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 94.94% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Deerfield Beach Health and Rehabilitation Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Pompano Beach, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pompano Beach, Florida has 6 other nursing homes
- Broward Health NorthAcute Care Hospitals 0.19 miles away201 E Sample Rd Pompano Beach Florida 33064Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 786-6950
- Northwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.36 miles away2801 N State Rd 7 Pompano Beach Florida 33063Proprietary(954) 974-0400
- Boca Raton Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away800 Meadows Rd Boca Raton Florida 33486Voluntary non-profit - Private(561) 362-5002
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.16 miles away4725 N Federal Hwy Fort Lauderdale Florida 33308Voluntary non-profit - Church(954) 771-8000
- West Boca Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.46 miles away21644 State Rd 7 Boca Raton Florida 33428Proprietary(561) 488-8100
- Broward Health Coral SpringsAcute Care Hospitals 8.55 miles away3000 Coral Hills Dr Pompano Beach Florida 33065Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 344-3000
- University Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away7201 N University Dr Fort Lauderdale Florida 33321Proprietary(954) 721-2200
- Delray Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.25 miles away5352 Linton Blvd Delray Beach Florida 33484Proprietary(561) 498-4440
- First Class Kidney Care Dialysis Center, LLC1.28 miles away3170 North Federal Highway Suite 107 Pompano Beach Florida 33064Dialysis Stations: 4 (754) 307-9256
- Lighthouse Point Dialysis2.79 miles away200 Sw Natura Ave Deerfield Beach Florida 33441CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (954) 426-3350
- United Dialysis Center, Inc.2.99 miles away1311 E Atlantic Blvd Pompano Beach Florida 33060Dialysis Stations: 19 (754) 307-1536
- Deerfield Beach Dialysis3.06 miles away1983 W Hillsboro Blvd Deerfield Beach Florida 33442Dialysis Stations: 12 (954) 426-3350
- Pompano Beach Artificial Kidney Center3.33 miles away600 Sw 3rd St #1100 Pompano Beach Florida 33060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (954) 942-5115
- R & S Health Group LLC4.76 miles away6264 N Federal Hwy Fort Lauderdale Florida 33308Dialysis Stations: 22 (954) 776-3791
- Universal Kidney Center of Margate-Coral Springs LLC5.35 miles away2800 N State Road 7 Pompano Beach Florida 33063Dialysis Stations: 30 (954) 968-8500
- Nw Broward Artificial Kidney Center5.4 miles away2514 N State Road 7 Pompano Beach Florida 33063CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (954) 977-7555