Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation is a large facility located in Humble, Texas. This nursing home is a well below average nursing home. A score in this range suggests we found some red flags. This isn't the worse place we looked at, however, we would still struggle to recommend it. This nursing home's only redeeming feature is its inspection grade, which we provide additional information about below.
Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home highly overall, we want to point out its excellent inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A in this category. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable score is long-term care, but it nevertheless earned a grade of just D in that category. This ended up being a relatively poor score. If you are seeking services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 97.30769 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation?
We were stunned to find that this facility also excelled in the area of nursing. We gave it a grade of D for that category, which is one of our highest grades. Nursing ratings are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This facility offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our next category, this nursing home didn't perform very well in this category either. Due to an abysmal grade of F in short-term care, this is just about as bad as it gets. Short-term care scores are based in part on a facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a broad scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients that had falls leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term patients that suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are typically given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 4.66% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 94.73% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Humble, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of F
- Nurse Rating has a grade of F
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Humble, Texas has 4 other nursing homes
- Memorial Hermann Northeast HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.73 miles away18951 Memorial North Humble Texas 77338Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 540-7700
- Humble Surgical Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.93 miles away1475 Fm 1960 Bypass Road East Humble Texas 77338Physician(281) 964-2100
- Memorial Hermann Surgical Hospital KingwoodAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away300 Kingwood Medical Drive Kingwood Texas 77339Proprietary(281) 312-4000
- Hca Houston Healthcare NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 9.42 miles away710 Cypress Creek Parkway Houston Texas 77090Proprietary(281) 440-1000
- Intracare North HospitalPsychiatric 9.44 miles away1120 Cypress Station Dr Houston Texas 77090Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 893-7200
- Tops Surgical Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.72 miles away17080 Red Oak Drive Houston Texas 77090Physician(281) 539-2900
- United Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away510 W Tidwell Houston Texas 77091Physician(713) 691-1111
- Emil J Freireich Cancer CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.69 miles away9201 Pinecroft Spring Texas 77380Proprietary(855) 353-2201
- Humble Dialysis, Lp0.57 miles away19502 Mckay Dr. Suite 100 Humble Texas 77338CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (281) 540-4313
- Fresenius Medical Care Kingwood, LLC0.6 miles away9767 Fm 1960 Bypass Rd W Humble Texas 77338Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 548-1250
- Deerbrook Dialysis1.98 miles away9660 Fm 1960 Bypass Humble Texas 77338CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 312-6362
- Usrc Kingwood Dialysis, Lp3.92 miles away24006 Highway 59 North Kingwood Texas 77339CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 312-5562
- Green Oak Dialysis4.54 miles away1426 Kingwood Drive Kingwood Texas 77339Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 312-1301
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeast Lp4.61 miles away22118 Market Place Dr Ste 100 New Caney Texas 77357CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 577-0006
- Ace Dialysis5.03 miles away14512 Lee Road Humble Texas 77396Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 441-5016
- Davita Atascocita Dialysis5.59 miles away5414 Fm 1960 Rd E Humble Texas 77346Dialysis Stations: 20 (832) 445-0020