Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation is a large facility located in Humble, Texas. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack score. In a city without a great selection of nursing homes, we rated this facility ahead of most of the facilities in Humble. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its exemplary inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
9250 Humble-Westfield Rd,
Humble TX 77338
64.43% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received an elite inspection grade. Its inspection score was far better than its overall score. In the inspections category, we gave this facility an A. Inspection grades are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this facility's more favorable category scores was in the category of long-term care. This ended up being its second most favorable category. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. In determining our long-term care scores, we scrutinize the personal care received by the nursing home's patients. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 96.01594 percent of its patients, which is higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing score. In fact, we gave this nursing home a grade of D. The nursing category assesses many components, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This nursing home averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive category is short-term care, which is the last area we looked at. It received a lowly F for this area. In spite of some decent scores in other categories, this score is nevertheless disappointing so we wanted to draw your attention to it. Short-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final measure we looked at in this area is the number of residents who eventually returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 5.2 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term residents which are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 94.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Deerbrook Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Humble, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Humble, Texas has 4 other nursing homes
- Memorial Hermann Northeast HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.73 miles away18951 Memorial North Humble Texas 77338Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 540-7700
- Humble Surgical Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.93 miles away1475 Fm 1960 Bypass Road East Humble Texas 77338Physician(281) 964-2100
- Memorial Hermann Surgical Hospital KingwoodAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away300 Kingwood Medical Drive Kingwood Texas 77339Proprietary(281) 312-4000
- Hca Houston Healthcare NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 9.42 miles away710 Cypress Creek Parkway Houston Texas 77090Proprietary(281) 440-1000
- Intracare North HospitalPsychiatric 9.44 miles away1120 Cypress Station Dr Houston Texas 77090Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 893-7200
- Tops Surgical Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.72 miles away17080 Red Oak Drive Houston Texas 77090Physician(281) 539-2900
- United Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away510 W Tidwell Houston Texas 77091Physician(713) 691-1111
- Emil J Freireich Cancer CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.69 miles away9201 Pinecroft Spring Texas 77380Proprietary(855) 353-2201
- Humble Dialysis, Lp0.57 miles away19502 Mckay Dr. Suite 100 Humble Texas 77338CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (281) 540-4313
- Fresenius Medical Care Kingwood, LLC0.6 miles away9767 Fm 1960 Bypass Rd W Humble Texas 77338Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 548-1250
- Deerbrook Dialysis1.98 miles away9660 Fm 1960 Bypass Humble Texas 77338CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 312-6362
- Usrc Kingwood Dialysis, Lp3.92 miles away24006 Highway 59 North Kingwood Texas 77339CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 312-5562
- Green Oak Dialysis4.54 miles away1426 Kingwood Drive Kingwood Texas 77339Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 312-1301
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeast Lp4.61 miles away22118 Market Place Dr Ste 100 New Caney Texas 77357CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 577-0006
- Ace Dialysis5.03 miles away14512 Lee Road Humble Texas 77396Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 441-5016
- Davita Atascocita Dialysis5.59 miles away5414 Fm 1960 Rd E Humble Texas 77346Dialysis Stations: 20 (832) 445-0020