Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center is one of a host of nursing home options to decide among in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This nursing home received an overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Based on our ratings, this place likely isn't a great fit for most prospective residents. The best thing we can really say about this place is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Philadelphia senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not a highlight, it actually excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our best scores. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to create an immediate risk to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received its second most favorable category grade in the category of long-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of C in this area, which is a respectable score. Our long-term care grades are more critical for individuals requiring more traditional assistance related to personal care. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were concerned by the fact that this facility vaccinated a relatively low 61.060604 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Nevertheless, this facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. In calculating our nursing grades, we assess both staffing levels and the training levels of the nurses. This particular place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This number is far below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these datapoints to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care, was this facility's worst category. We awarded this facility a D in that area. Our short-term care scores are considered to be most meaningful for residents in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. With its weak grade in this area, we were not shocked to find this facility offers substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most nursing homes. The final measure we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics doomed this nursing home's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 10.27% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered falls which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint could also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 11.25% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who were given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 15.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 0.3% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 76.06% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 12.11% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 10.26% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 10.26% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 9.57% of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Deer Meadows Rehabilitation Center, 82.33% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Philadelphia, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has 19 other nursing homes
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.21 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.61 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- St Christopher's Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 5.8 miles away160 East Erie Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19134Proprietary(215) 427-5000
- Temple University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away3401 North Broad Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19140Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 707-2000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Nazareth0.18 miles away2601 Holme Avenue Ground Floor, Marion Building Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 335-0668
- Davita - Grant One Dialysis Center1.46 miles away9475 Roosevelt Boulevard, Suite 9 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 673-0490
- Davita Cottman Kidney Center1.59 miles away7198 Castor Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19149CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 745-4060
- Northeast Philadelphia Dialysis Center, LLC2.04 miles away9815 Roosevelt Blvd., Suite 1a Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 330-0494
- Isd Renal, Inc2.22 miles away6501 Roosevelt Blvd. Suite 6581 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19149Dialysis Stations: 17 (215) 288-4671
- Bio Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.2.32 miles away700 Cottman Avenue, Building A Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Dialysis Stations: 13 (215) 745-3183
- Northeast Philadelphia Dialysis Center2.54 miles away518 Knorr Street Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 745-4859
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Greater Northeast3.02 miles away10500 Roosevelt Blvd Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19116Dialysis Stations: 15 (215) 673-3923