Deer Creek of Wimberley is a small nursing home in Wimberley, Texas. Featuring an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. Based on our assessment, this facility likely isn't a fit for any prospective resident. Finally, inspections was the only shining light in our review of this nursing home. We provide additional information on this category below.
Deer Creek of Wimberley
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it actually earned a very impressive inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our more favorable grades in that category with a B+. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively insignificant. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility's next most favorable category is short-term care. As it turns out, with a D in this category, it still performed somewhat badly. In computing our short-term care ratings, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is typically a reliable assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Does this page answer your questions about Deer Creek of Wimberley?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's third best score is long-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this category, it still fared somewhat badly. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is an above average statistic. Surprisingly, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
The final category we looked at was nursing, in which this facility was given an abysmal score here also. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F for this category, which is obviously somewhat alarming. Our nursing rating assesses quite a few factors, most of which are based on nursing hours. With just 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, this facility's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these data points to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Deer Creek of Wimberley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents which have experienced falls leading to serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by poor nursing care. However, this metric can also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 94.64% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Deer Creek of Wimberley, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Seton Medical Center WilliamsonAcute Care Hospitals 6.45 miles away201 Seton Parkway Round Rock Texas 78664Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-0000
- Scott & White Hospital-Round RockAcute Care Hospitals 6.63 miles away300 University Blvd Round Rock Texas 78664Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 509-0100
- Round Rock Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.24 miles away2400 Round Rock Ave Round Rock Texas 78681Proprietary(512) 341-1000
- Cedar Park Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.46 miles away1401 Medical Parkway Cedar Park Texas 78613Proprietary(512) 528-7000
- Baylor Scott & White Emergency Medical Center at CAcute Care Hospitals 12.12 miles away900 East Whitestone Blvd Cedar Park Texas 78613Government - Hospital District or Authority(512) 684-4911
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center PflugervilleAcute Care Hospitals 15.67 miles away2600 East Pflugerville Parkway Pflugerville Texas 78660Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 654-6100
- North Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.84 miles away12221 Mopac Expressway North Austin Texas 78758Proprietary(512) 901-1000
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center -TaylorCritical Access Hospitals 16.9 miles away305 Mallard Taylor Texas 76574Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 352-7611
- Georgetown Dialysis1.2 miles away201 Fm 971 Georgetown Texas 78626Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 819-9636
- Fresenius Medical Care Chisholm Trail2.04 miles away1900 Scenic Drive Building 1 Georgetown Texas 78626Dialysis Stations: 13 (512) 819-9104
- Nna - Roundrock8.22 miles away1499 E Old Settlers Blvd Suite A Round Rock Texas 78664Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 671-8012
- Scott & White Round Rock Dialysis Center9.04 miles away2120 North Mays St Suite 230 Round Rock Texas 78664Dialysis Stations: 18 (512) 238-2900
- Satellite Health Care, Inc.10.01 miles away16010 Park Valley Drive Suite 100 Round Rock Texas 78681CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 275-0100
- Round Rock Dialysis10.53 miles away1800 Round Rock Avenue Round Rock Texas 78681Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 310-8797
- Cedar Park Dialysis Center12.22 miles away1720 E Whitestone Blvd Cedar Park Texas 78613Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 528-8478
- Davita Leander Dialysis12.62 miles away2906 S Bagdad Rd Ste 120 Leander Texas 78641Dialysis Stations: 16 (512) 260-4102