Dedham Healthcare is a large non-profit facility located in Dedham, Massachusetts. Sporting an overall grade of B+, this facility should work for most prospective patients. You can definitely do much worse than this place. The best part of this facility's strong report card is its nursing grade. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place received a great overall grade is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A-. In computing our nursing scores, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
An additional quality feature for this nursing home is that it received a favorable long-term care grade. In fact, this turned out to be its second best category score. In this area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+. Facilities that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 95.3405 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Dedham Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was awarded favorable short-term care scores in our assessment. In fact, we gave it one of our stronger grades in that area, with a grade of B+. With our short-term care rating, we endeavor to create a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Turning to the last category we assessed, this facility earned a good score in inspections as well. We awarded it a grade of B for that category. This facility didn't have any major weak links. Our inspection ratings are based on many pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dedham Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dedham Healthcare, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care residents which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dedham Healthcare, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often caused by lower quality nursing care. More supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dedham Healthcare, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients which have sustained urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dedham Healthcare, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dedham Healthcare, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dedham Healthcare, 1.93% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dedham Healthcare, 91.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dedham Healthcare, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dedham Healthcare, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In Dedham Healthcare, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dedham Healthcare, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Dedham Healthcare, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Dedham Healthcare, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.44 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 3.49 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.41 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 8.24 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)1.53 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)6.03 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner6.22 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Wellesley Dialysis7.4 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)7.42 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Davita Brookline Dialysis7.7 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC7.77 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston8.28 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592