With an address in Dedham, Massachusetts, Dedham Healthcare is one of a mere two facilities in the area. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires respectable scores in most areas. This nursing home truly has plenty of good features. The best part of this nursing home's strong profile is its long-term care rating. Long-term care grades are discussed in the next section
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1007 East Street,
Dedham MA 02026
62.55% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it earned a very impressive long-term care grade. In fact, this turned out to be its best category. In that area, we gave this facility a B+. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 95.43726 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping residents out of the hospital. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.74 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. This proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+. Our nursing rating includes a host of subcategories. The most important factor is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. This facility provided 3.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed better than average in this area. This is often a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Dedham Healthcare?
This facility also earned favorable inspections in recent years. In fact, we gave them one of our better grades in that area, with a B. Our inspection scores are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we rated is short-term care. This facility was given a grade of B- in the category. Short-term care ratings are important for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of patients that were able to return home from the facility. We found that it fared respectably with 47.7 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dedham Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dedham Healthcare, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dedham Healthcare, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dedham Healthcare, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dedham Healthcare, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dedham Healthcare, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dedham Healthcare, 1.96% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dedham Healthcare, 91.59% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dedham Healthcare, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dedham Healthcare, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Dedham Healthcare, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dedham Healthcare, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Dedham Healthcare, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Dedham Healthcare, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.44 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 3.49 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.41 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 8.24 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)1.53 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)6.03 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner6.22 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Wellesley Dialysis7.4 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)7.42 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Davita Brookline Dialysis7.7 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC7.77 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston8.28 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592