Dedham Healthcare is in Dedham, Massachusetts, a city with a total of 24,711 people. Featuring an overall rating of D, this is a lower end facility. This wasn't the worse place we looked at, however, we'd still struggle to recommend it. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was nursing, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Dedham Healthcare has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Dedham senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many favorable things to say about this facility's overall grade, it did receive a respectable nursing grade of B-. When determining a nursing home's nursing rating, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are with residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, although this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of our quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed well in this subcategory.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's short-term care rating turns out to be one of its higher features. The facility was awarded a B- in this area. Our short-term care scores are thought to be more critical for patients in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally mandates more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The more important thing is determining what bearing this had on quality of care. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Dedham Healthcare?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best category was long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Our long-term care ratings are more critical for people in need of more traditional assistance associated with personal care. One of the factors we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 97.402596 percent of its residents. This facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning the final category of inspections, this facility had an abysmal showing. Sadly, it received an F in our inspection rating. This is the most heavily weighted category in our overall scoring system. When a place has this bad of an inspection score, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they created a threat to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Dedham Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Dedham Healthcare, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Dedham Healthcare, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Dedham Healthcare, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with lower quality nursing care. However, this statistic could also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Dedham Healthcare, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Dedham Healthcare, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Dedham Healthcare, 2.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Dedham Healthcare, 91.39% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Dedham Healthcare, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Dedham Healthcare, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In Dedham Healthcare, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Dedham Healthcare, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Dedham Healthcare, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Dedham Healthcare, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.44 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 3.49 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.41 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 8.24 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Westwood Dialysis Center (Bma Westwood)1.53 miles away90 Glacier Drive Westwood Massachusetts 02090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 326-9985
- Boston Dialysis Center (Bma Boston)6.03 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue 1 South Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 298-2475
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner6.22 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Wellesley Dialysis7.4 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- Mary Eliza Mahoney Dialysis Center (Bma of Massachusetts)7.42 miles away416 Warren Street Roxbury Massachusetts 02119CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (617) 445-9989
- Davita Brookline Dialysis7.7 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Pure Life Renal of Stoughton, LLC7.77 miles awayMed. Office Bldg Suite m107 907 Sumner Street Stoughton Massachusetts 02072CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 341-8550
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston8.28 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592