Decatur Township Center is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Indianapolis, Indiana. We gave this nursing home an acceptable overall grade of B-. Even though this is not an elite grade, this facility still wound up being a better option than the vast majority of the nursing homes in Indianapolis. This facility seems to have some things working in its favor. The best part of this place's profile was is its inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Decatur Township Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
4851 Tincher Rd,
Indianapolis IN 46221
68.63% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection grades account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this area usually have few severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ in that category, which is one of our better scores. Nursing ratings are largely associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Decatur Township Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a strong grade in short-term care. This facility earned a B in this area, which is one of our better scores. Our short-term care ratings are presumably most important for folks needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored was long-term care, turned out to be this nursing home's weakest area. We gave this facility a D in that category. This is one of just a few dings of a strong report card. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means the nursing home didn't perform well in our measures relating to resident care. One of the factors we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to just 65.5 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Decatur Township Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Decatur Township Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Decatur Township Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Decatur Township Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who had urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Decatur Township Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Decatur Township Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Decatur Township Center, 12.89% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Decatur Township Center, 91.48% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Decatur Township Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Decatur Township Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental health.
In Decatur Township Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Decatur Township Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Decatur Township Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Decatur Township Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 45 other nursing homes
- St Vincent Neighborhood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away9613 East Us Highway 36 Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 703-1999
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Iu Health West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.7 miles away1111 N Ronald Reagan Pkwy Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 217-3000
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Franciscan Health IndianapolisAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away8111 S Emerson Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46237Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 528-5000
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 11.59 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Fmc - Indianapolis-West5.8 miles away805 Beachway Drive Suite 100 Indianapolis Indiana 46224Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 484-3550
- Davita - Avon Dialysis6.24 miles away9210 Rockville Road, Ste D Indianapolis Indiana 46234Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 209-2544
- Davita Speedway Dialysis6.28 miles away2636 W. Michigan St. Indianapolis Indiana 46222Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 423-0956
- Dci - Indianapolis6.87 miles away1719 West 10th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (317) 631-2005
- Fresenius Medical Care Indiana, LLC6.97 miles away6826 Madison Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 791-8362
- Davita University Dialysis of Indy7.05 miles away550 N. University Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 31 (317) 635-8729
- Riley Hospital - Peds Dialysis7.05 miles away705 Riley Hospital Drive Roc Dialysis Rm 1240 Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 8 (317) 944-4303
- Davita - Plainfield7.07 miles away8110 Network Drive Plainfield Indiana 46168CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 838-8089