Decatur Township Center is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Indianapolis, Indiana. This nursing home received an overall grade of D in our grading scheme. At the end of the day, we would struggle to recommend this place. The only positive thing we can say about this nursing home is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Decatur Township Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to draw your attention to its nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A- in this category. Inspection ratings account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid places with too many severe deficiencies flagged. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is not a bad score. Our nursing rating is largely associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. While this place got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this statistic. This is often an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning a patient more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Decatur Township Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we graded was short-term care, where this facility received a grade of C in this area. Our short-term care grades are considered to be more meaningful for patients needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically requires more skilled nursing services. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The critical question is whether this adversely affected quality of care. The final statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth area, we gave this nursing home a D for the area of long-term care. This was the nursing home's weakest category rating. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is typically a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the facility is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were a bit concerned this facility administered the vaccine to a relatively low 71.875 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Decatur Township Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Decatur Township Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Decatur Township Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term care patients who have experienced a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Decatur Township Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients that suffered from UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this datapoint can be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Decatur Township Center, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Decatur Township Center, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Decatur Township Center, 12.38% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Decatur Township Center, 91.56% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Decatur Township Center, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Decatur Township Center, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Decatur Township Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Decatur Township Center, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Decatur Township Center, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Decatur Township Center, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 45 other nursing homes
- St Vincent Neighborhood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away9613 East Us Highway 36 Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 703-1999
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Iu Health West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.7 miles away1111 N Ronald Reagan Pkwy Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 217-3000
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Franciscan Health IndianapolisAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away8111 S Emerson Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46237Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 528-5000
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 11.59 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Fmc - Indianapolis-West5.8 miles away805 Beachway Drive Suite 100 Indianapolis Indiana 46224Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 484-3550
- Davita - Avon Dialysis6.24 miles away9210 Rockville Road, Ste D Indianapolis Indiana 46234Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 209-2544
- Davita Speedway Dialysis6.28 miles away2636 W. Michigan St. Indianapolis Indiana 46222Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 423-0956
- Dci - Indianapolis6.87 miles away1719 West 10th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (317) 631-2005
- Fresenius Medical Care Indiana, LLC6.97 miles away6826 Madison Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 791-8362
- Davita University Dialysis of Indy7.05 miles away550 N. University Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 31 (317) 635-8729
- Riley Hospital - Peds Dialysis7.05 miles away705 Riley Hospital Drive Roc Dialysis Rm 1240 Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 8 (317) 944-4303
- Davita - Plainfield7.07 miles away8110 Network Drive Plainfield Indiana 46168CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 838-8089