Decatur Township Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Indianapolis, Indiana. This nursing home received a rock bottom overall rating based on the data we looked at. In our view, you'd be better off to steer clear of this nursing home. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, you can continue reading to learn more about its category scores. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Decatur Township Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Indianapolis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it actually received a very impressive inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best scores in that category with a grade of A. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. You generally want to avoid places with too many deficiencies flagged. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. Nursing ratings are largely tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Decatur Township Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Tragically, we gave this facility an F for its long-term care grade. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is often a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 38.174274 percent of its patients. This is multiple points lower than what we were hoping for. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we scored was short-term care, in which this nursing home was given a poor grade here also. Sadly, it received an F in this area, which is obviously very concerning. In calculating our short-term care scores, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to create a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Considering its score in this category, we were not surprised to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the data we looked at. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home. This was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Decatur Township Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Decatur Township Center, 3.54% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Decatur Township Center, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Decatur Township Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which have sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of poor nursing care. However, this statistic could be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Decatur Township Center, 12.04% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Decatur Township Center, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Decatur Township Center, 40.59% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Decatur Township Center, 46.4% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Decatur Township Center, 13.9% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Decatur Township Center, 3.66% of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels. Some would argue that mobility is important for residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Decatur Township Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Decatur Township Center, 3.66% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Decatur Township Center, 100% of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 44 other nursing homes
- St Vincent Neighborhood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away9613 East Us Highway 36 Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 703-1999
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.44 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Community Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away1402 E County Line Rd S Indianapolis Indiana 46227Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 887-7000
- Iu Health West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.7 miles away1111 N Ronald Reagan Pkwy Avon Indiana 46123Proprietary(317) 217-3000
- Franciscan Health MooresvilleAcute Care Hospitals 7.96 miles away1201 Hadley Rd Mooresville Indiana 46158Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 831-1160
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Franciscan Health IndianapolisAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away8111 S Emerson Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46237Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 528-5000
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 11.59 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Fmc - Indianapolis-West5.8 miles away805 Beachway Drive Suite 100 Indianapolis Indiana 46224Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 484-3550
- Davita - Avon Dialysis6.24 miles away9210 Rockville Road, Ste D Indianapolis Indiana 46234Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 209-2544
- Davita Speedway Dialysis6.28 miles away2636 W. Michigan St. Indianapolis Indiana 46222Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 423-0956
- Dci - Indianapolis6.87 miles away1719 West 10th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46222CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (317) 631-2005
- Fresenius Medical Care Indiana, LLC6.97 miles away6826 Madison Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46227Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 791-8362
- Davita University Dialysis of Indy7.05 miles away550 N. University Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 31 (317) 635-8729
- Riley Hospital - Peds Dialysis7.05 miles away705 Riley Hospital Drive Roc Dialysis Rm 1240 Indianapolis Indiana 46202Dialysis Stations: 8 (317) 944-4303
- Davita - Plainfield7.07 miles away8110 Network Drive Plainfield Indiana 46168CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 838-8089