Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home is in West Orange, New Jersey. The city has 46,182 people. This nursing home is an A rated facility. This facility received one of the best grades that we offer. A grade in this range requires first-rate marks across the board. This is really as good of a nursing home as you'll find. Keep reading to find this nursing home's category grades, which are equally impressive. You just can't do much better than a straight A profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on West Orange senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this facility received an excellent long-term care rating. We gave it an A in that area. When facilities receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for patient care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses aids. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is often a life threatening illness for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a dominant short-term care score. Indeed, this ended up being this facility's third strongest category score. In that category, this facility received a grade of A. Our short-term care scores are presumably more meaningful for people requiring a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Moving on to the last category, this facility also excelled in the nursing category. We gave it an A- for this area. This wrapped up truly elite profile. The nursing rating is based on a handful of subcategories, most of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving patients at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 5.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 1.78% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 2.01% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 17.68% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which were given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 14.08% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 1.64% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 100% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 6.84% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 9.67% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 9.67% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 10.26% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Daughters of Israel Pleasant Valley Home, 90.66% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for West Orange, NJ
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? West Orange, New Jersey has 3 other nursing homes
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.19 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.86 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 4.99 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.73 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.39 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis0.82 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- Fresenius Medical Care Livingston, LLC1.82 miles away348 East Northfield Road Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 535-0667
- Ara Dialysis Center at West Orange2.3 miles away101 Old Shorts Hills Road Ste 120 Carlstadt New Jersey 07072CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 736-8300
- Fmc Orange Dc2.41 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital2.45 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035
- Davita East Orange Dialysis3.22 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025
- Fresenius Medical Care North Montclair3.68 miles away114 Valley Road Montclair New Jersey 07042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 744-2058
- Mountainside Hospital4.06 miles awayDialysis Unit 1 Bay Avenue Montclair New Jersey 07042Dialysis Stations: 30 (973) 429-6767