Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center is a large facility in Cupertino, California. With a abysmal overall grade of F, this nursing home isn't high on our list. Cupertino received a more impressive city grade of B, so there are far better options in the city worth looking at. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next section.
Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility an abysmal overall score, we gave it a B- for long-term care. If you are looking for anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. After we finished assessing the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
This facility excelled in the area of nursing, where it earned an B-. Few places fared better in this category. Our nursing rating is primarily tied to a nursing home's nurse staffing. This place provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure which is well below average. Finally, nursing scores also consider quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often a good indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center?
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection grade. More often than not, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. For places with poor inspection ratings, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This particular nursing home was assessed 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they created a risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility also received 29 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care. We gave it a lowly F in this category, which is a very poor score. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a broad range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. As you might expect, we found that this nursing home offers significantly less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical facility. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents which had falls which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 4.64% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some believe that this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cupertino Healthcare & Wellness Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.62 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 3.98 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.25 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- Stanford Health CareAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away300 Pasteur Drive Stanford California 94305Voluntary non-profit - Private(650) 723-5708
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 12.4 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- Davita El Camino Dialysis4.18 miles away412 West El Camino Real Mountain View California 94043Dialysis Stations: 24 (650) 962-1903
- Davita Santa Clara Dialysis Center4.23 miles away777 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 243-1130
- Wellbound of Mountain View4.57 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 200 Mountain View California 94040Dialysis Stations: 4 (650) 417-6460
- Satellite Dialysis Mountain View4.57 miles away247 West El Camino Real Suite 100 Mountain View California 94040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (650) 417-6420
- San Jose at Home4.85 miles away4400 Stevens Creek Blvd. Suite 50 San Jose California 95129Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 985-2011
- Stevens Creek Dialysis Center4.89 miles away275 Di Salvo Ave San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 297-0103
- Satellite Dialysis Stevens Creek4.94 miles away4360-a Stevens Creek Blvd San Jose California 95129CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (408) 517-5777
- Satellite Dialysis Sunnyvale5.01 miles away155 North Wolfe Rd Sunnyvale California 94086CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 617-1887