Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community is a nursing home located in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, a city with a population of 55,373 people. With an overall rating of A, this nursing home is one of the top facilities we assessed. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it substantially ahead of the overwhelming majority of the facilities in Carlisle. The best part of this place's report card was is its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Carlisle senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Personal Care
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ in the area of short-term care. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
On the list of its many elite scores, this facility was given a strong long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in this area. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This is a proven method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the elderly population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community?
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Our inspection ratings are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Turning to our fourth category, this facility was awarded an excellent nursing rating. Although this wasn't as strong as several of its other category grades, this remains one of the more favorable scores we offer. Our nursing score assesses several data points, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 7.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents which are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 4.06% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients which experienced a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 4.71% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 11.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 22.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 8.11% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts argue this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 100% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 14.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 18.68% of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 0.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 18.68% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 13.73% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 68.02% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Carlisle, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Carlisle, Pennsylvania has 4 other nursing homes
- Carlisle Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away361 Alexander Spring Road Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Proprietary(717) 249-1212
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles awayFourth and Walnut Streets Lebanon Pennsylvania 17042Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 270-7500
- Holy Spirit HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.35 miles away503 North 21st Street Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Voluntary non-profit - Private(717) 763-2100
- Pennsylvania Psychiatric InstitutePsychiatric 17.49 miles away2501 North Third Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Proprietary(717) 782-4742
- Pinnacle Health HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 17.85 miles away409 South Second Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17105Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 782-5181
- u.s. Renal Care - Carlisle1.03 miles away101 Noble Boulevard, Suite 103 Carlisle Pennsylvania 17013Dialysis Stations: 14 (717) 258-3099
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cumberland1.8 miles away254 East High Street Carlisle Pennsylvania 17013Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 240-2944
- Wooten Dialysis, LLC1.94 miles away419 Village Dr., Suite 10 Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 218-5104
- Dialysis Care Center - Mechanicsburg LLC10.15 miles away4 Flowers Drive, Suite 1 Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17050Dialysis Stations: 11 (717) 795-4665
- u.s. Renal Care Mechanicsburg10.74 miles away120 South Filbert Street Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17055Dialysis Stations: 15 (717) 790-6080
- u.s. Renal Care - Camp Hill14.5 miles away158 South 32nd Street, Suite 19 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 731-0506
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Camp Hill15.26 miles away240 Grandview Avenue, Suite 200 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 18 (717) 737-7800
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.15.42 miles away390 E. Penn Drive Enola Pennsylvania 17025Dialysis Stations: 2 (717) 732-3274