Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community is a nursing home located in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, a city with a population of 55,373 people. Featuring an overall rating of B, this nursing home is a great option. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Carlisle. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Personal Care
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a grade of A for our short-term care grade. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of C in this category is by no means a bad score. Our nursing grade weighs a handful of datapoints, but the primary consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This place provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a somewhat concerning figure which is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we scored is long-term care. This facility received a C in the category. Our long-term care scores are more important for folks needing more traditional services related to activities of daily living. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinated 96.794876 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This place was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 3.23% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. High rates of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 88.5% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cumberland Crossings Retirement Community, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Carlisle, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Carlisle, Pennsylvania has 7 other nursing homes
- Carlisle Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away361 Alexander Spring Road Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Proprietary(717) 249-1212
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles awayFourth and Walnut Streets Lebanon Pennsylvania 17042Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 270-7500
- Holy Spirit HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.35 miles away503 North 21st Street Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Voluntary non-profit - Private(717) 763-2100
- Pennsylvania Psychiatric InstitutePsychiatric 17.49 miles away2501 North Third Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17110Proprietary(717) 782-4742
- Pinnacle Health HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 17.85 miles away409 South Second Street Harrisburg Pennsylvania 17105Voluntary non-profit - Other(717) 782-5181
- u.s. Renal Care - Carlisle1.03 miles away101 Noble Boulevard, Suite 103 Carlisle Pennsylvania 17013Dialysis Stations: 14 (717) 258-3099
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cumberland1.8 miles away254 East High Street Carlisle Pennsylvania 17013Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 240-2944
- Wooten Dialysis, LLC1.94 miles away419 Village Dr., Suite 10 Carlisle Pennsylvania 17015Dialysis Stations: 12 (717) 218-5104
- Dialysis Care Center - Mechanicsburg LLC10.15 miles away4 Flowers Drive, Suite 1 Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17050Dialysis Stations: 11 (717) 795-4665
- u.s. Renal Care Mechanicsburg10.74 miles away120 South Filbert Street Mechanicsburg Pennsylvania 17055Dialysis Stations: 15 (717) 790-6080
- u.s. Renal Care - Camp Hill14.5 miles away158 South 32nd Street, Suite 19 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 16 (717) 731-0506
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Camp Hill15.26 miles away240 Grandview Avenue, Suite 200 Camp Hill Pennsylvania 17011Dialysis Stations: 18 (717) 737-7800
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.15.42 miles away390 E. Penn Drive Enola Pennsylvania 17025Dialysis Stations: 2 (717) 732-3274