Crystal Cove Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Newport Beach, California. This proved to be a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of C. Based on our ratings, this place ought to meet the needs of many people. The best part of this place's report card is is its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Crystal Cove Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Newport Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with better scores in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also wanted to note that this nursing home was awarded strong short-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our higher grades in that area, with a grade of B+. This turned out to be the facility's second strongest score. Our short-term care scores are critical for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this facility provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we considered the number of patients that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Crystal Cove Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the category of long-term care, this nursing home received just a D in this category. For residents in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is a very solid total. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
The final area we scored is nursing, ended up being this nursing home's worst category. We gave this facility a grade of D in this category. The nursing score analyzes many components, but the primary consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This place provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Crystal Cove Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Crystal Cove Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.36 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.12 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.29 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.22 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.31 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.76 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.32 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Fmc-Newport Superior Dialysis Center0.43 miles away510 Superior Avenue, Suite 150 Newport Beach California 92663CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (949) 574-4733
- Fmc-Newport Beach Dialysis1.17 miles away3333 W. Coast Highway, Suite 101 Newport Beach California 92663Dialysis Stations: 16 (949) 631-0107
- Davita-Newport Irvine Dialysis3.49 miles away4300 Von Karman Newport Beach California 92660Dialysis Stations: 17 (949) 863-1382
- Fmc-Newport Mesa Dialysis Services4.39 miles away1175 Baker Street, Suite B Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 641-5808
- Davita-Costa Mesa Dialysis5.01 miles away1590 Scenic Avenue Costa Mesa California 92626CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 540-9401
- Davita-Fountain Valley Dialysis5.26 miles away17150 Euclid Street, Suite 111 Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 966-1595
- Fmc-Rai-Newhope-Fountain Valley5.83 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite a, B, C & D Fountain Valley California 92708CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 241-0196
- Fmc-Rai-Fountain Valley Home5.98 miles away17197 Newhope Street, Suite E Fountain Valley California 92708Dialysis Stations: 3 (714) 435-0281