Crowne Health Care of Springhill is one of a variety of options to choose from in Mobile, Alabama. With an A overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top ten percent of all nursing homes in the United States. As far as we can see, this facility looks like a wonderful choice for most people. Headlining this nursing home's stellar report card is its inspection grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Crowne Health Care of Springhill
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
3712 Dauphin St,
Mobile AL 36608
82.17% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to faring well overall, this nursing home also earned a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that area with a grade of A+. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home excelled in our short-term care category. We gave them an impressive score of A+ in this area. Our short-term care ratings are important for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires more highly-skilled nursing. This means a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. This place provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients that were able to return home from this facility. In addition to excelling in the area of physical therapy staffing, we found that it performed as well as just about any facility in this area with 63.9 percent of its patients returning home. Most facilities are below 50 percent in this metric.
Does this page answer your questions about Crowne Health Care of Springhill?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next area, we gave this nursing home a score of A- for its long-term care score. This is a very strong grade. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 93.023254 percent of its patients, which is a few points lower than we expected. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In our final category, this nursing home also received an excellent nursing score, with an A-. This rounded out a straight A report card. The nursing rating assesses a handful of subcategories, but the most important one is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provided 4.8 hours of nursing care per resident daily, which is among the highest totals in the country. A significant portion of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the more skilled levels of nurses. We are really impressed by both of these statistics. In addition to looking at levels of nursing care, we also looked at a few quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these areas as good measures of the caliber of nursing care offered, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Crowne Health Care of Springhill Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Crowne Health Care of Springhill, 9.21% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Crowne Health Care of Springhill, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Crowne Health Care of Springhill, 3.27% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Crowne Health Care of Springhill, 19.34% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Crowne Health Care of Springhill, 23.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Crowne Health Care of Springhill, 1.38% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Crowne Health Care of Springhill, 91.71% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Crowne Health Care of Springhill, 13.51% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and eating. Many argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Crowne Health Care of Springhill, 11.47 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Crowne Health Care of Springhill, 72.41% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Mobile, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Mobile, Alabama has 10 other nursing homes
- Springhill Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.06 miles away3719 Dauphin Street Mobile Alabama 36608Proprietary(251) 344-9630
- University of South Alabama Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.43 miles away2451 Fillingim Street Mobile Alabama 36617Government - State(251) 471-7110
- Mobile Infirmary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.09 miles away5 Mobile Infirmary Circle Mobile Alabama 36652Voluntary non-profit - Private(251) 435-4700
- Usa Health Children's & Women's HospitalChildrens 3.33 miles away1700 Center Street Mobile Alabama 36604Government - State(251) 415-1000
- Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.02 miles away6801 Airport Boulevard Mobile Alabama 36608Voluntary non-profit - Church(251) 633-1000
- Eastpointe HospitalPsychiatric 14.35 miles away7400 Roper Lane Daphne Alabama 36526Voluntary non-profit - Other(251) 378-6500
- Thomas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.24 miles away750 Morphy Avenue Fairhope Alabama 36532Voluntary non-profit - Private(251) 928-2375
- Fmc Mobile1.78 miles away2620 Old Shell Rd Mobile Alabama 36607CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (251) 476-2762
- Fmc Jaguar2.56 miles away575 Stanton Road Unit B Mobile Alabama 36617CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (251) 476-0502
- Fmc University South Alabama3 miles away700 Clinic Drive Mobile Alabama 36688Dialysis Stations: 22 (251) 460-6797
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama Inc3.47 miles away65 North Catherine Street Mobile Alabama 36604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (251) 441-0868
- Fmc East Mobile4 miles away1217 Government St Mobile Alabama 36604CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (251) 438-6917
- Fmc West Mobile4 miles away6601 Wall Street Suite A Mobile Alabama 36695Dialysis Stations: 20 (251) 633-2681
- Fmc Prichard5.12 miles away4016 Hwy 45 Eight Mile Alabama 36613CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (251) 330-1623
- Fmc Dauphin Island Pkwy5.22 miles away2381 Dauphin Island Parkway Mobile Alabama 36605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (251) 471-2505