Laurel Lake Retirement Community is in Hudson, Ohio. Featuring an overall score of B+, this looks like a high quality nursing home. With no elite facilities in the city, this is actually the highest rated nursing home in Hudson. The best part of this nursing home's strong profile was its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph
Laurel Lake Retirement Community
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Ohio Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Hudson, Ohio Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this facility a grade of A for the area of inspections. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite minor. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home an A. The nursing score assesses a handful of subcategories, but the most important consideration is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Laurel Lake Retirement Community?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was given favorable short-term care scores this year. In fact, we gave it one of our more favorable grades in that area, with a score of B. In our short-term care score, we strive to craft a fair barometer for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we rated is long-term care, where this facility received a B. This nursing home turned out to be relatively strong in each category we looked at. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 94.85981 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Laurel Lake Retirement Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients who experienced falls resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of long-term care residents who experienced a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint may be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 20.26% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 90.12% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Many argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who maintained mobility. Some would argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 12 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Laurel Lake Retirement Community, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 11.66 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.05 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- University Hospitals Portage Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.47 miles away6847 N Chestnut Ravenna Ohio 44266Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 297-2300
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.95 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.56 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 19.06 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.26 miles away6780 Mayfield Road Cleveland Ohio 44124Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 312-4500
- Davita Twinsburg Dialysis4.81 miles away2592 E. Aurora Rd. Suite 100 Twinsburg Ohio 44087Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 405-3030
- Fmc - Streetsboro Kidney Center6.24 miles away9200 Staples Drive, Ste A Streetsboro Ohio 44241Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 422-0160
- Davita - Munroe Falls6.95 miles away265 North Main Street Munroe Falls Ohio 44262CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 689-1400
- U S Renal Care - Cuyahoga Falls7.5 miles away421 Portage Trail, Suite B Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44221Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 928-7970
- Ohio Renal Care Group LLC7.73 miles away320 Broadway St E Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44221Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 928-4511
- Fmc - Portage County Kidney Center8.53 miles away401 Devon Place Ste 100 Kent Ohio 44240CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 677-0880
- Nephrology Associates at Oakwood, Ltd.9.28 miles away7690 First Place, Suite E, Bldg D Bedford Ohio 44146CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 439-1526
- Usrc Kent LLC9.46 miles away1720 East Main Street Kent Ohio 44240Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 346-0467