Crosslands is one of just two available facilities located in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. This is an A+ facility. Being awarded an A+ in our rating scheme requires superb marks across the board. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it as one of the top 500 best nursing homes in the country. This facility also received strong scores in all four of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection grades are tied to many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This means CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another reason we rated this facility so favorably is that it was given an A+ long-term care grade. This is just about as elite as it gets in this category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Crosslands?
In addition, this facility received high marks in the area of nursing. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. When calculating a facility's nursing grade, we assess the amount of time nurses are seeing residents as well as the skill levels of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving residents more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the next category, this nursing home also performed admirably in the short-term care category. We awarded it a grade of A in that category. This completed a straight A report card. Our short-term care scores are thought to be most critical for those requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Crosslands Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Crosslands, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Crosslands, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Crosslands, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Crosslands, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients that are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Crosslands, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Crosslands, 3.23% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Crosslands, 88.5% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Crosslands, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Crosslands, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Crosslands, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Crosslands, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Crosslands, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Crosslands, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 8.65 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.25 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.14 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.94 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Rockford CenterPsychiatric 13.02 miles away100 Rockford Drive Newark Delaware 19713Proprietary(302) 996-5480
- Christiana Care Health Services, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 13.43 miles away4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road Newark Delaware 19718Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 733-1000
- Paoli HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.99 miles away255 West Lancaster Avenue Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 648-1000
- Davita Healthcare Partners, Inc.6.46 miles away265 Wilmington West Chester Pike Chadds Ford Pennsylvania 19317Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 558-6965
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis6.78 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- Fresenius Medical Care Northern Delaware, LLC.6.95 miles awayLantana Square Shopping Center 214 Lantana Drive Hockessin Delaware 19707Dialysis Stations: 9 (302) 239-4704
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware Inc7.03 miles away1417 Foulk Road Wilmington Delaware 19803Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 479-7130
- Alfred I. Dupont Hospital for Children Dialysis Center8.82 miles away1600 Rockland Road Wilmington Delaware 19899Dialysis Stations: 6 (302) 651-5374
- American Universal - Hockessin8.99 miles away5936 Limestone Road, Suite 101 Hockessin Delaware 19707Dialysis Stations: 11 (302) 239-4106
- Fresenius Kidney Care - West Chester9.17 miles away1380 Enterprise Dr., Suite 300 West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 701-0103
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis9.33 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902