Crosslands is a small non-profit facility located in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. This proved to be an A+ rated facility. Receiving an A+ in our grading system requires top-notch marks across the board. We were so impressed with this facility that we rated it as one of the top 500 nursing homes in the country. This nursing home also received strong ratings in each of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Kennett Square senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Kennett Square, Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong facility overall, it also received A+ inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually perfect. Our inspection scores are based on several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Nursing grades are largely based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Crosslands?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given an A+ for its long-term care score. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In our final category, this facility also was awarded an impressive short-term care grade, with an A-. This completed a straight A profile. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Crosslands Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Crosslands, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Crosslands, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percentage of long-term stay residents which had a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Crosslands, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Crosslands, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Crosslands, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Crosslands, 3.3% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Crosslands, 86.27% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Crosslands, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Crosslands, 17.92% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Crosslands, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Crosslands, 17.92 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Crosslands, 9.68 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Crosslands, 73.03% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 8.65 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Brandywine HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.25 miles away201 Reeceville Road Coatesville Pennsylvania 19320Proprietary(610) 383-8000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.14 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.94 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Rockford CenterPsychiatric 13.02 miles away100 Rockford Drive Newark Delaware 19713Proprietary(302) 996-5480
- Christiana Care Health Services, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 13.43 miles away4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road Newark Delaware 19718Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 733-1000
- Paoli HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.99 miles away255 West Lancaster Avenue Paoli Pennsylvania 19301Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 648-1000
- Davita Healthcare Partners, Inc.6.46 miles away265 Wilmington West Chester Pike Chadds Ford Pennsylvania 19317Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 558-6965
- Davita - Westtown Dialysis6.78 miles away105 Westtown Road West Chester Pennsylvania 19382CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 701-2492
- Fresenius Medical Care Northern Delaware, LLC.6.95 miles awayLantana Square Shopping Center 214 Lantana Drive Hockessin Delaware 19707Dialysis Stations: 9 (302) 239-4704
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware Inc7.03 miles away1417 Foulk Road Wilmington Delaware 19803Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 479-7130
- Alfred I. Dupont Hospital for Children Dialysis Center8.82 miles away1600 Rockland Road Wilmington Delaware 19899Dialysis Stations: 6 (302) 651-5374
- American Universal - Hockessin8.99 miles away5936 Limestone Road, Suite 101 Hockessin Delaware 19707Dialysis Stations: 11 (302) 239-4106
- Fresenius Kidney Care - West Chester9.17 miles away1380 Enterprise Dr., Suite 300 West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 701-0103
- Davita - Thorndale Dialysis9.33 miles away3243 Lincoln Highway Thorndale Pennsylvania 19372CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (610) 384-3902