Crofton Convalescent Center is a large nursing home in Crofton, Maryland. Sporting an overall score of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective patients. Based on our assessment, this facility looks like a good fit for quite a few people. Lastly, this facility had an ownership change in the last year, so we will need to make sure it keeps up its high scores under new ownership.
Crofton Convalescent Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2131 Davidsonville Road,
Crofton MD 21114
86.11% estimated occupancy 1
Please note our records indicate that Crofton Convalescent Center has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a strong facility overall, it also earned A+ health inspections recently. Its inspections are virtually flawless. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be quite insignificant. This nursing home was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to this nursing home's list of accomplishments, it also was awarded a very favorable short-term care score. We awarded them an elite strong of A- in this area. Short-term care grades are commonly used to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to provide high-end rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This nursing home employs both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities employ these skilled professionals. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This proved to be a real strength for this facility. It outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes in the country in this area with 63.8 percent of its patients returning home. This is a significantly higher rate than most nursing homes.
Does this page answer your questions about Crofton Convalescent Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was given favorable long-term care grades in our assessment. In fact, we gave them one of our higher scores in that area, with a grade of B. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 99.16201 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The final category we looked at is nursing. In that area, we awarded this facility an acceptable grade of B-. This was this facility's weakest category. We looked at the levels of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours the nurses worked with residents, in computing our score in this area. This nursing home provides 3.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, this facility was relatively weak in two of the major areas we focus on, with below average scores for minimizing its patients' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Crofton Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 10.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 2.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 13.07% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who were given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 14.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 9.93% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased levels of depression could reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 92.59% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 19.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 30.1% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 30.1 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Crofton Convalescent Center, 73.71% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Anne Arundel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away2001 Medical Parkway Annapolis Maryland 21401Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 481-1307
- Umd Baltimore Washington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.5 miles away301 Hospital Drive Glen Burnie Maryland 21061Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 595-1967
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.01 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.71 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 14.1 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.94 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.71 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.23 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Renal Care of Bowie, LLC4.13 miles away4861 Telsa Dr Ste H Bowie Maryland 20715CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 809-5342
- Odenton Dialysis5.15 miles away1360 Blair Drive Suites L & M Odenton Maryland 21113Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 674-3918
- Fresenius Anne Arundel Outpatient Dialysis Services, LLC5.37 miles away1105 Annapolis Rd Odenton Maryland 21113Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 672-8024
- Bma - South Annapolis7.14 miles away304 Harry S Truman Pkwy Stes H-K Annapolis Maryland 21401Dialysis Stations: 15 (301) 261-1036
- Fmc - Anne Arundel7.36 miles away2032 Industrial Dr Annapolis Maryland 21401Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 266-7288
- Greenbelt Home Training7.95 miles away10210 Greenbelt Road Ste 100 Lanham Maryland 20706Dialysis Stations: 4 (301) 794-0142
- Davita Pasadena Dialysis9.02 miles away8037 Governor Ritchie Hwy. Suite A Pasadena Maryland 21122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 590-4615
- Holy Cross Dialysis Center - Woodmore9.03 miles away11721 Woodmore Rd Ste 190 Bowie Maryland 20721CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (301) 390-7270