Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton is a facility in Crofton, Maryland, which has 25,225 people. We gave this facility an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top 25 percent of all nursing homes in the nation. Based on our assessment, this place should be a no brainer for most people. If you scroll down, you can see this place's category ratings, which are also impressive.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Crofton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out the fact that this nursing home earned near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this area. Inspection ratings are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this category typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also fared very well in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of A-. Only a select group of nursing homes fared better in this category. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to create a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. It doesn't appear that this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final item we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 6.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on our next area, this nursing home was awarded a strong long-term care score. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in that category. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 99.74227 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last area we scored was nursing. This nursing home was awarded a favorable nursing grade this year, with a grade of B. While this is not as elite as several of its other scores, this is nevertheless one of our more favorable scores in this area. Our nursing grade looks at the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are often the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who were administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients which were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 11.04% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 90.84% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 24.5% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents that retained mobility levels. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 24.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 9.63 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Crofton, 73.32% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Anne Arundel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away2001 Medical Parkway Annapolis Maryland 21401Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 481-1307
- Umd Baltimore Washington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.5 miles away301 Hospital Drive Glen Burnie Maryland 21061Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 595-1967
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.01 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.71 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 14.1 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.94 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.71 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.23 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Renal Care of Bowie, LLC4.13 miles away4861 Telsa Dr Ste H Bowie Maryland 20715CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 809-5342
- Odenton Dialysis5.15 miles away1360 Blair Drive Suites L & M Odenton Maryland 21113Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 674-3918
- Fresenius Anne Arundel Outpatient Dialysis Services, LLC5.37 miles away1105 Annapolis Rd Odenton Maryland 21113Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 672-8024
- Bma - South Annapolis7.14 miles away304 Harry S Truman Pkwy Stes H-K Annapolis Maryland 21401Dialysis Stations: 15 (301) 261-1036
- Fmc - Anne Arundel7.36 miles away2032 Industrial Dr Annapolis Maryland 21401Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 266-7288
- Greenbelt Home Training7.95 miles away10210 Greenbelt Road Ste 100 Lanham Maryland 20706Dialysis Stations: 4 (301) 794-0142
- Davita Pasadena Dialysis9.02 miles away8037 Governor Ritchie Hwy. Suite A Pasadena Maryland 21122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 590-4615
- Holy Cross Dialysis Center - Woodmore9.03 miles away11721 Woodmore Rd Ste 190 Bowie Maryland 20721CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (301) 390-7270