Crest View Lutheran Home is a large non-profit facility in Minneapolis, Minnesota. We gave this nursing home a B overall, which is a solid grade. We were equally impressed that Minneapolis received a B+ city grade, making this one of the best places to find a nursing home. Even in a city offering 53 other nursing homes, this facility ought to be a perfectly acceptable option. This place was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Crest View Lutheran Home
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in nursing, where it received an A-. Nursing ratings are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This nursing home also performed well in inspections, which is based on the facility's inspection reports. We awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our top grades. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Crest View Lutheran Home?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable category came in the area of short-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a B-. In our short-term care assessment, we attempt to forge a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 4.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Our next category is long-term care, in which we awarded this nursing home a grade of C in that category. In determining our long-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's personal care services. After considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Crest View Lutheran Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 6.84% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 4.32% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients who had a fall leading to serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced UTI's. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 16.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 12.17% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 4.73% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression may reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 93.57% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 13.28% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 20.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 1.26 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 20.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 12.78 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Crest View Lutheran Home, 76.19% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 52 other nursing homes
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 5.44 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 6.55 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.37 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.65 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.93 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- East River Road Dialysis2.43 miles away5301 E River Rd Ne Suite 117 Minneapolis Minnesota 55421Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 571-5556
- Fmc Dialysis - New Brighton2.74 miles away2910 Centre Pointe Dr Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 633-1155
- Minneapolis Ne Dialysis of Davita4.08 miles away1049 10th Ave Se Minneapolis Minnesota 55414Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 331-6088
- Arden Hills Dialysis of Davita4.15 miles away3900 Northwoods Dr Ste 110 Saint Paul Minnesota 55112Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 483-3159
- Robbinsdale Dialysis of Davita4.84 miles away3461 W Broadway Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 16 (763) 521-4865
- Fmc - Robbinsdale Dialysis5.08 miles away4094 Lakeland Ave N Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 24 (763) 533-3759
- Riverside Dialysis of Davita5.5 miles away1045 Westgate Drive Suite 90 Saint Paul Minnesota 55114Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 645-1847
- Home Dialysis of Davita - Pd Unit5.54 miles away825 S 8th St Suite 1202, Pd Unit Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Dialysis Stations: 6 (612) 347-4458