Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center is a nursing home located in Fall River, Massachusetts. The city has a population of 88,252 people. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B+. A score in this range requires solid marks in most areas. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top third of all facilities in the country. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its long-term care grade, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Fall River senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an A+ long-term care grade. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care grades. After we finished assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 73.81703 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, at least this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
We also wanted to emphasize this facility's nearly flawless health inspections recently. We gave them an A in this category. Our inspection scores are tied to several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's inspections. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Our nursing grade is primarily tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was short-term care, which ended up being a weak link for this nursing home. We gave this nursing home a D in our short-term care category, making this the nursing home's least impressive grade. We'd nevertheless suggest that you consider all of a facility's category grades. Short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we learned that this facility provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other nursing homes. The final measure we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics doomed this nursing home's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained falls resulting in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Closer supervision minimizes the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.48% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 91.39% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Carvalho Grove Health and Rehabilitation Center, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Fall River, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Fall River, Massachusetts has 3 other nursing homes
- Southcoast Hospital Group, IncAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away363 Highland Avenue Fall River Massachusetts 02720Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 679-3131
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 13.31 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.45 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.78 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 15.93 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.88 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Newport HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.95 miles away11 Friendship Street Newport Rhode Island 02840Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 846-6400
- Fall River Kidney Center LLC1.86 miles away48 Weaver Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (508) 677-4911
- Dialysis Center of Tiverton2.98 miles away22 Hurst Lane Tiverton Rhode Island 02878Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 624-4403
- Hawthorn Kidney Center7.55 miles away537 Faunce Corner Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (508) 994-9692
- Davita New Bedford Dialysis8.5 miles away237-B State Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 992-0629
- Fresenius Medical Care of Fairhaven13.48 miles away216 Huttleson Avenue Fairhaven Massachusetts 02719Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 996-0364
- Dialysis Center of East Providence13.57 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital13.73 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital14.28 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440