Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center is the sole facility we identified in Cranford, New Jersey. Sporting an overall score of C, this is likely a middle of the road nursing home. Based on our ratings, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. We were also pleased to discover that this facility was consistent in all of the other areas we looked at. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Cranford senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its decent overall grade, we gave this facility an A- for its inspection grade. This is far better than the facility's overall rating. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively minor. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This facility's second best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. Nursing ratings are largely tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in some of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed remarkably well in this statistic. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a patient at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities next best category is short-term care. We awarded it a C in this area. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this area. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation To have quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Our next category is long-term care, where we gave this nursing home a grade of C in this area. Long-term care grades are typically used to grade a nursing home's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this nursing home vaccinated only 87.664474 percent of its patients. Fortunately, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that suffered a fall leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 6.37% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 89.73% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cranford Rehab & Nursing Center, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.99 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.49 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.75 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 8.3 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Trinitas Cranford Dialysis0.09 miles away205 Birchwood Ave Cranford New Jersey 07016Dialysis Stations: 9 (908) 402-2000
- Fmc Kenilworth0.84 miles away131 South 31st Street Kenilworth New Jersey 07033CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (908) 241-0453
- Fmc Hillside Dialysis Ctr2.06 miles away879 Rahway Avenue Ruth Kliman Dialysis Center Union New Jersey 07083Dialysis Stations: 32 (908) 964-5606
- Fmc Linden Dialysis2.76 miles away630 West St. Georges Ave Linden New Jersey 07036CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 925-5161
- Dva Summit Dialysis Ctr2.91 miles away1139 Spruce Drive Mountainside New Jersey 07092CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (908) 232-7800
- Trinitas Sat Linden3.24 miles away10 North Wood Ave Suite G Linden New Jersey 07036Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 862-7400
- Davita Rahway3.51 miles away800 Harrison Street Rahway New Jersey 07065Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 680-0370
- Davita Millburn Dialysis3.51 miles away25 East Willow Street Ste 2 Millburn New Jersey 07041CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 379-7309