Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center is a small nursing home located in East Palestine, Ohio. Sporting an overall score of C, this appears to be a decent facility. Based on our ratings, this place likely wouldn't be a bad choice. The best part of this facility's report card was is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on East Palestine senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it received an excellent inspection score. In fact, its inspection score was far superior to its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave this facility a grade of A-. Arguably the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This nursing home was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more favorable category scores came in the category of short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B+. It actually outperformed most facilities in this area. In determining our short-term care ratings, we size up the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is generally a solid assessment of the facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center?
Another strength of this facility is its favorable grade in nursing. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an impressive grade of D. Our nursing grade focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of training of those nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at is long-term care, which turned out to be this facility's worst area. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is clearly concerning. If you are looking for anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 97.515526 percent of its patients, which is more than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents that experienced a urinary tract infection. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 21.39% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 88.91% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 12.98 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Covington Skilled Nursing & Rehab Center, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Salem Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.53 miles away1995 East State Street Salem Ohio 44460Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 332-1551
- Ellwood City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.74 miles away724 Pershing Street Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Proprietary(724) 752-0081
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 15.27 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Heritage Valley BeaverAcute Care Hospitals 15.83 miles away1000 Dutch Ridge Road Beaver Pennsylvania 15009Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 728-7000
- East Liverpool City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.58 miles away425 West 5th Street East Liverpool Ohio 43920Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 385-7200
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.42 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Cdc Home Care (Youngstown), Ltd.9.91 miles away807 Southwestern Run Youngstown Ohio 44514Dialysis Stations: 2 (330) 758-0995
- Fmc - North Lima10.34 miles away9174 Market Street North Lima Ohio 44452Dialysis Stations: 9 (330) 729-9061
- Liberty Dialysis - Chippewa10.73 miles away100 Pappan Business Drive Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (724) 846-5030
- Dci of Beaver Falls / Chippewa11.01 miles away2562 Constitution Boulevard Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 891-5044
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC12.18 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Fmc - Boardman Dialysis12.89 miles away257 Boardman-Canfield Rd. Youngstown Ohio 44512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 629-8856
- Total Renal Care, Inc.13.76 miles away807 Lawrence Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 5 (724) 752-1081
- Arc/Cdc, Ltd.13.89 miles away3695 Stutz Drive Canfield Ohio 44406Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 702-3040