Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation is located in Coventry, Rhode Island. This city has a population of 32,611 people. This nursing home proved to be a decent facility, with an overall grade of B-. Based on our analysis, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. The best part of this facility's report card is is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. Inspection grades are tied to pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this area tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also would like to point out that this facility was awarded favorable short-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our higher grades in this category, with a grade of B+. This proved to be the nursing home's second highest grade. Our short-term care scores are critical for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a vast scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Our nursing grade is largely based on the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a somewhat alarming figure as it is well below average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at is long-term care. We awarded it a C in that category. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this area. For prospective patients looking for a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We discovered that this nursing home administered the vaccine to just 87.88991 percent of its residents, which is quite a bit lower than we expected. On a more positive note, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 7.54% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.81% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often caused by poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 2.72% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 15.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 2.96% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 94.59% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.47% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 23.44% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' health.
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.17 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 23.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.31 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Coventry Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation, 77.51% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 13.49 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.74 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.03 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 14.44 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.67 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.17 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- South County Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 17.46 miles away100 Kenyon Ave Wakefield Rhode Island 02879Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 782-8020
- Dialysis Center of West Warwick5.03 miles away1775 Bald Hill Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (401) 823-8420
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick7.73 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050
- Dialysis Center of Johnston11.91 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Dialysis Center of Providence13.02 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna of Providence15.22 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Davita North Providence Renal Center15.41 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital15.42 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital15.51 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002