Covenant Village Care Center is in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The city has a multitude of options. This is a strong nursing home with a grade of B+ overall. We were pleased to find out that many of the other facilities in Fort Lauderdale received similar grades. Based on our ratings, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. Fortunately, this place didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Covenant Village Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to this facility's list of achievements, it also was given a very favorable short-term care score. We gave them a dominant grade of A in this category. Our short-term care grades are crucial for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally requires more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Covenant Village Care Center?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Nursing scores are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we rated was long-term care. We awarded this facility a decent grade in that category, with a B-. Although this wasn't as high as some of this nursing home's other grades, it is still nothing to be ashamed of. In crafting these long-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this nursing home gave the vaccine to 99.2126 percent of its patients, which is an above average statistic. This facility also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Covenant Village Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Covenant Village Care Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Covenant Village Care Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often caused by poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Covenant Village Care Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Covenant Village Care Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Covenant Village Care Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Covenant Village Care Center, 2.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are showing signs of depression. Some believe this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Covenant Village Care Center, 94.94% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Covenant Village Care Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Covenant Village Care Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term patients that retained mobility levels.
In Covenant Village Care Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Covenant Village Care Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Covenant Village Care Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Covenant Village Care Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Lauderdale, Florida has 18 other nursing homes
- Plantation General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.98 miles away401 Nw 42nd Ave Fort Lauderdale Florida 33317Voluntary non-profit - Private(954) 587-5010
- Memorial Hospital PembrokeAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away7800 Sheridan St Hollywood Florida 33024Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 962-9650
- University Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away7201 N University Dr Fort Lauderdale Florida 33321Proprietary(954) 721-2200
- Cleveland Clinic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.85 miles away3100 Weston Rd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33331Voluntary non-profit - Private(954) 689-5000
- Broward Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.87 miles away1600 S Andrews Ave Fort Lauderdale Florida 33316Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 355-4400
- Memorial Hospital WestAcute Care Hospitals 7.95 miles away703 N Flamingo Rd Pembroke Pines Florida 33028Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 436-5000
- South Florida State HospitalPsychiatric 8.21 miles away800 E Cypress Dr Hollywood Florida 33025Government - State(305) 967-7000
- Broward Health Coral SpringsAcute Care Hospitals 10.21 miles away3000 Coral Hills Dr Pompano Beach Florida 33065Government - Hospital District or Authority(954) 344-3000
- Plantation Home Training1.27 miles away8144 W Broward Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33324Dialysis Stations: 3 (954) 473-9138
- Plantation Dialysis - Plantation1.52 miles away7061 Cypress Rd Ste 103 Fort Lauderdale Florida 33317CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (954) 583-2100
- Fmc - Plantation1.56 miles away849 N Nob Hill Rd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33324Dialysis Stations: 19 (954) 382-0151
- Pine Island Kidney Center1.84 miles away1871 N Pine Island Rd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33322Dialysis Stations: 20 (954) 916-8958
- Universal Kidney Center of Davie2.25 miles away11570 W State Road 84 Fort Lauderdale Florida 33325Dialysis Stations: 21 (954) 727-9100
- Davie City Dialysis2.65 miles away7950 Sw 30th Street Fort Lauderdale Florida 33328Dialysis Stations: 15 (954) 577-2778
- Florida Kidney Center4.18 miles away7309 West Oakland Park Blvd Fort Lauderdale Florida 33319CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (954) 578-7678
- Renal Care Partners Home Program4.26 miles away4970 Sw 52nd St #304 Fort Lauderdale Florida 33314Dialysis Stations: 10 (954) 791-7301