Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk is a nursing home located in Northbrook, Illinois, which has a total of 39,936 people. Sporting an overall grade of A, this nursing home is among the highest-graded nursing homes we looked at. We flat out can not say enough good things about this facility. Finally, this ended up being a very consistent facility with consistent grades in each of the major categories we assessed. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Northbrook senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Northbrook, Illinois Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Northbrook, Illinois Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Northbrook, Illinois Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first-rate nursing home overall, this facility also excelled in the area of short-term care, where it received an A+. With our short-term care category, we attempt to craft a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we assessed in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 7.1 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. When calculating a nursing home's nursing score, we weigh the number of hours nurses are caring for patients and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning residents even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth area, this facility was awarded an extremely favorable long-term care rating. We gave it an A- in this area, giving this facility straight A's. Nursing homes that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 96.9163 percent of its patients, which is better than most nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care patients that had a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic could also be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients which are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 31.81% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 87.05% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 69.52% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.87 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 9.1 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.1 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.41 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 11.45 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.26 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Glen Dialysis1.77 miles away2601 Compass Road Suite 145 Glenview Illinois 60026Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 657-7574
- Fmc - Deerfield Dialysis Center2.66 miles away405 Lake Cook Rd. Suite a13 Deerfield Illinois 60015Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 559-0374
- Fmc - Glenview Dialysis Center3.19 miles away4248 Commercial Way Glenview Illinois 60025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 824-2006
- Fmc - Niles4.49 miles away9371 Milwaukee Ave. Niles Illinois 60714CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (847) 581-0334
- Fmc - Highland5.01 miles away1657 Old Skokie Road Highland Park Illinois 60035Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 579-0675
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis5.86 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Fmc - Des Plaines6.77 miles away1625 Oakton Pl Des Plaines Illinois 60018Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 795-0014
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis7.22 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400