Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk is a nursing home located in Northbrook, Illinois, which has a total of 39,936 people. Sporting an overall grade of A, this nursing home is among the highest-graded nursing homes we looked at. We flat out can not say enough good things about this facility. Finally, this ended up being a very consistent facility with consistent grades in each of the major categories we assessed. More information about its category grades is available below.
Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Best Nursing Home in Northbrook, Illinois Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Northbrook, Illinois Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Illinois Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Northbrook, Illinois Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this nursing home also earned an excellent short-term care grade, with an A. In our short-term care rating, we seek to craft a sound gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 7.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. Nursing scores are mostly tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving patients more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk?
Another impressive feature of this facility is its inspection grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered severe. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
The fourth area we assessed was long-term care, where this facility was given an A-. This rounded out an elite profile. Very few nursing homes received an A- or higher in in each area we assessed. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are well cared for. After we finished looking at the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 97.95918 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia can be a life threatening health condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who experienced a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 30.45% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 87.4% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Covenant Hlth Cr Ctr-Northbrk, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Northbrook, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Northbrook, Illinois has 4 other nursing homes
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 8.08 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.87 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 9.1 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.1 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.41 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 11.45 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.26 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Glen Dialysis1.77 miles away2601 Compass Road Suite 145 Glenview Illinois 60026Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 657-7574
- Fmc - Deerfield Dialysis Center2.66 miles away405 Lake Cook Rd. Suite a13 Deerfield Illinois 60015Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 559-0374
- Fmc - Glenview Dialysis Center3.19 miles away4248 Commercial Way Glenview Illinois 60025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 824-2006
- Fmc - Niles4.49 miles away9371 Milwaukee Ave. Niles Illinois 60714CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (847) 581-0334
- Fmc - Highland5.01 miles away1657 Old Skokie Road Highland Park Illinois 60035Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 579-0675
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis5.86 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Fmc - Des Plaines6.77 miles away1625 Oakton Pl Des Plaines Illinois 60018Dialysis Stations: 13 (847) 795-0014
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis7.22 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400