With an address in Batavia, Illinois, Covenant Living at the Holmstad is one of a mere two available nursing homes there. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B. A grade in this range requires quality marks in most areas. You could certainly do much worse than this nursing home. This facility was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Covenant Living at the Holmstad
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
831 North Batavia Avenue,
Batavia IL 60510
74.64% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a strong overall grade as described above, but we especially wanted to note its excellent short-term care grade. We awarded them an A+ in this area. In our short-term care grade, we seek to craft a sound barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. Nursing grades are largely tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Illinois in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Covenant Living at the Holmstad?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a middle of the road grade in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a B-. In the category of long-term care, we assess the quantity of care provided by a nursing home, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. After we finished looking at the volume of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 98.93048 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Lastly, we looked at this facility's inspection score This was not one of this nursing home's stronger areas. We gave it a C in this category. This isn't a terrible grade in this category. It simply wasn't as favorable as some of this place's other category grades. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of the deficiencies. This facility had 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were category G through L deficiencies. This tells you CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Covenant Living at the Holmstad Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents that suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 30.45% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 87.4% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Covenant Living at the Holmstad, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Delnor Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.1 miles away300 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 208-3000
- Presence Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away1325 N Highland Avenue Aurora Illinois 60506Voluntary non-profit - Church(630) 859-2222
- Central Dupage HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.02 miles away25 North Winfield Road Winfield Illinois 60190Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 682-1600
- Rush Copley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away2000 Ogden Avenue Aurora Illinois 60504Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 978-6200
- Edward HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.98 miles away801 South Washington Naperville Illinois 60540Voluntary non-profit - Private(630) 527-3000
- Presence Saint Joseph Hospital - ElginAcute Care Hospitals 11.99 miles away77 N Airlite Street Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 695-3200
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 13.01 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.35 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Fmc - West Batavia1.95 miles away2580 West Fabyan Parkway Batavia Illinois 60510Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 406-1690
- Tri Cities Dialysis LLC2.22 miles away306 Randall Rd Geneva Illinois 60134CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (630) 262-1306
- Fmc - Aurora Dialysis Center5.5 miles away455 Mercy Lane Aurora Illinois 60506CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (630) 892-7445
- Fmc - Dupage West5.88 miles away450 E Roosevelt Rd West Chicago Illinois 60185Dialysis Stations: 16 (630) 293-6356
- Fkc - East Aurora6.3 miles away810 North Farnsworth Avenue Aurora Illinois 60505Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 585-1228
- Fmc - West Chicago Dialysis Center6.4 miles away1859 Neltnor Blvd West Chicago Illinois 60185Dialysis Stations: 12 (630) 293-5952
- Fkc - Elgin9.26 miles away770 N Mclean Boulevard South Elgin Illinois 60177Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 695-5345
- Fox Valley Dialysis Ltd9.41 miles away1300 Waterford Drive Aurora Illinois 60504CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (630) 236-1300