Courtyard Nursing Care Center is a very-large nursing home located in Medford, Massachusetts. It looks like this is a good facility. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a favorable grade. You could definitely do much worse than this facility. The best aspect of this nursing home's impressive profile was its nursing grade. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Courtyard Nursing Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
200 Governors Avenue,
Medford MA 02155
75.08% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility really excelled in nursing, where it received an A-. Few facilities fared better in this area. We assessed the levels of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses spent with patients, in calculating our grade in this area. This facility provided 3.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some quality-based measures in this category. This facility fared well in some of the quality measures we looked at. For example, in terms of the number of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, this nursing home performed better than the national average. This is generally an indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided with better nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home fared well in the category of short-term care. Indeed, we gave it a score of A- for that category, which is one of our better grades. Our short-term care grades are vital for residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. When we assessed this facility's nursing hours, we found it offered more care from registered nurses than most nursing homes. The final item we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. It fared better than most facilities in this area with 55.8 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, at most facilities, less than half of their short-stay residents are able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Courtyard Nursing Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is long-term care. This nursing home was awarded an above average long-term care grade, with a grade of B+ in the category. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are well cared for. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 93.37749 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is a bit lower than we anticipated but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In our final category, inspections proved to be this nursing home's weakest link. It received a C in this category. Inspection grades relate to a nursing home's government inspections. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. We weren't able to locate information on deficiency's for this nursing home. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Courtyard Nursing Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 6.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 3.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who have had a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who have suffered from urinary tract infections. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 19.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 19% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 1.96% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some believe this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 91.59% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 15.22% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 19.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that retained mobility levels.
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 19.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 10.96 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Courtyard Nursing Care Center, 70.74% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 3.38 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 3.73 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.97 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.79 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center0.66 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)1.89 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Dci Ball Square1.96 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis3.5 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Davita Woburn Dialysis4.06 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Massachusetts General Hospital4.88 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Fruit St, Bigelow 10 Boston Massachusetts 02114Dialysis Stations: 11 (617) 726-3700
- Fmc Services of Stoneham5.25 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Kidney Center5.38 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000