Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation is just one of 25 options in Houston, Texas. We gave this nursing home a C overall, which isn't a bad score. This is comparable with the city grade in Houston, which is a B-. Based on our assessment, this nursing home likely wouldn't be a bad choice. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its exemplary inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this facility received a decent overall grade is its impeccable government inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better grades in that area, with an A. This is a notably better grade than the place's overall score, which was decent but not in the elite range. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second best area ended up being long-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a B-. In a long-term care environment, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the datapoints we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its residents. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Another strength of this facility is its favorable grade in nursing. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an impressive grade of D. There are a variety of factors within this grade. Many of the subcategories relate to levels of nurse staffing. This place provided a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was short-term care, which ended up being a weak link for this facility. We awarded this nursing home a D in our short-term care category. Short-term care scores are crucial for individuals looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Given its score in this category, we were not stunned to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. Frankly, this was what we expected to find. The final item we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation, 4.84% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation, 93.69% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Courtyard Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 24 other nursing homes
- Harris Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.81 miles away2525 Holly Hall Houston Texas 77054Government - Hospital District or Authority(713) 566-6417
- Chi St Luke's Health Baylor College of Medicine MeAcute Care Hospitals 6.37 miles away7200 Cambridge, 11th Floor Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Church(832) 355-1000
- Hca Houston Healthcare SoutheastAcute Care Hospitals 6.57 miles away4000 Spencer Hwy Pasadena Texas 77504Proprietary(713) 359-1000
- Park Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.61 miles away1313 Hermann Dr Houston Texas 77004Proprietary(713) 527-5019
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.64 miles away1401 St. Joseph Parkway Houston Texas 77002Proprietary(713) 757-1000
- Womans Hospital of Texas,TheAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away7600 Fannin Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 790-1234
- Sun Behavioral HoustonPsychiatric 6.75 miles away7601 Fannin Street Houston Texas 77054Proprietary(713) 795-5025
- Memorial Hermann Texas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.89 miles away6411 Fannin Houston Texas 77030Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 704-3700
- Gulfgate Kidney Center1.77 miles away2916 Woodridge Drive Houston Texas 77087Dialysis Stations: 28 (346) 772-0517
- Southeast Kidney Center1.95 miles away8537 Gulf Freeway Bldg A Houston Texas 77017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (713) 947-9564
- Davita Physicians Dialysis South Houston2.48 miles away5989 South Loop East Houston Texas 77033Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 641-6130
- Lone Star Dialysis2.73 miles away8560 Monroe Houston Texas 77061CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (713) 378-6094
- Fmc Sunnyside3.82 miles away8340 Coffee Houston Texas 77033Dialysis Stations: 25 (713) 731-7027
- Central Houston Dialysis4.2 miles away610 South Wayside Suite B Houston Texas 77011Dialysis Stations: 20 (713) 928-8188
- Baylor College of Medicine-Scott Street Dialysis4.47 miles away6120 Scott Street, Suite F Houston Texas 77021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 741-7059
- Clutch City Dialysis Center4.5 miles away5910 Scott Street Suite A Houston Texas 77021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (713) 748-0554