Courtyard Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in San Jose, California. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road rating. You could definitely do worse than this place. The best part of this nursing home's report card was is its nursing rating. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section.
Courtyard Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but it really excelled in nursing care, with an impressive grade of A- in this category. Nursing ratings are primarily tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a patient at least once a day.
This facility also earned a strong inspection grade. Inspection grades are based on the nursing home's recent health inspections. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. This nursing home was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to resident safety or health. A few relatively minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Courtyard Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a respectable score in the area of short-term care, with a grade of B-. Our short-term care ratings are believed to be more important for patients in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of D for our long-term care category. This was the nursing home's weakest category score. Naturally, this grade pulled down the nursing home's overall grade to a certain degree. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is more than most nursing homes. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Courtyard Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Courtyard Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Courtyard Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Courtyard Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients which suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. However, this statistic can be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Courtyard Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Courtyard Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Courtyard Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Courtyard Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Courtyard Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Courtyard Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Courtyard Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Courtyard Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Courtyard Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Courtyard Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 18 other nursing homes
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.73 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 1.78 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 2.09 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.09 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.89 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Satellite Dialysis Stevens Creek0.59 miles away4360-a Stevens Creek Blvd San Jose California 95129CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (408) 517-5777
- Stevens Creek Dialysis Center0.64 miles away275 Di Salvo Ave San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 297-0103
- San Jose at Home0.69 miles away4400 Stevens Creek Blvd. Suite 50 San Jose California 95129Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 985-2011
- Davita Santa Clara Dialysis Center1.84 miles away777 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Dialysis Stations: 24 (408) 243-1130
- Cornerhouse Dialysis Center2 miles away2005 Naglee Avenue San Jose California 95128Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 998-0183
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center2.01 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose2.17 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Wellbound of San Jose LLC3.46 miles away1525 Meridian Avenue Suite 101 San Jose California 95125Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 269-3600