Courtyard Care Center is located in Long Beach, California, which offers a slew of nursing homes. This turns out to be a very respectable facility, with an overall grade of B. If you take a look at the other options in Long Beach, we are confident you will find this nursing home to be a better option than most of the nursing homes in the city. This nursing home is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Courtyard Care Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1880 Dawson Avenue,
Long Beach CA 90806
79.66% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this facility also earned an elite long-term care grade. We awarded them one of our higher scores in that category, with an A-. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to patient-friendly nursing hour statistics, this nursing home's vaccination statistics is top notch as well. Indeed, it vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This combination proved to be successful as this place keeps its patients out of the hospital. Although it had 2.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, its risk adjusted metric was better than most facilities since it had more complex patients.
Adding to its impressive category grades, we gave this nursing home an A- for inspections. Our inspection ratings are based on several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's inspections. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Courtyard Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a middle of the road grade in the category of short-term care, where it received a B-. In crafting our short-term care scores, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. The last datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. It was above average in this area with 51.7 percent of its patients returning home.
The final category we scored is nursing. We gave it a grade of C in this area. This is a decent grade in this area. Our nursing rating includes several subcategories. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home offers extremely high levels of nursing care, averaging 4.6 hours per resident per day. This is well above average. Finally, we also factored some quality measures into our nursing grades. Specifically, we looked at the percent of residents who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these areas as reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Courtyard Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Courtyard Care Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Courtyard Care Center, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Courtyard Care Center, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Courtyard Care Center, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Courtyard Care Center, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Courtyard Care Center, 4.32% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Courtyard Care Center, 96.21% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Courtyard Care Center, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Courtyard Care Center, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Courtyard Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Courtyard Care Center, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Courtyard Care Center, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Courtyard Care Center, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.43 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.98 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.98 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.11 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.99 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 10.11 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center0.76 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis1.35 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis1.48 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis1.56 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center2.1 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Fmc-Long Beach2.46 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444
- Davita-United Dialysis Center3.43 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis3.43 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403