With an address in Gastonia, North Carolina, Courtland Terrace is one of seven facilities in the city. This turns out to be a grade A facility, which is a superb score. We also want to point out that this place is located in a hospital. Typically, this means that more intensive healthcare services are offered. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's stellar report card is its inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its superb profile, this facility also excelled in our long-term care area. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for the category. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 98.78049 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a life threatening illness for nursing home residents so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Courtland Terrace?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we analyzed is short-term care. Adding to its elite resume, this nursing home also performed well in this area. In fact, we gave it a of A for the category. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be most meaningful for residents needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
The next area we graded proved to be this nursing home's poorest category. However, even in its weakest link we still awarded it a respectable grade of B- for nursing. In determining a nursing home's nursing score, we look at the quantity of hours nurses are caring for residents and the level of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, nursing ratings also consider quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a good indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Courtland Terrace Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Courtland Terrace, 10.18% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Courtland Terrace, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Courtland Terrace, 3.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Courtland Terrace, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Courtland Terrace, 22.36% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Courtland Terrace, 2.92% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Increased levels of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Courtland Terrace, 88.16% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Courtland Terrace, 19.43% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Courtland Terrace, 26.81% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Courtland Terrace, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Courtland Terrace, 26.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Courtland Terrace, 11.94 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Courtland Terrace, 72.2% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Gastonia, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Gastonia, North Carolina has 6 other nursing homes
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.49 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Atrium Health Kings MountainAcute Care Hospitals 12.34 miles away706 W King St Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 739-3601
- Atrium Health LincolnAcute Care Hospitals 15.57 miles away433 Mcalister Rd Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Government - Hospital District or Authority(980) 212-2000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 17.37 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.04 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.65 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 19.33 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Fresenius Medical Care Gastonia1.07 miles away348 Burtonwood Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28054CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (704) 864-8863
- Fresenius Kidney Care North Gaston2.63 miles away1510 Lower Dallas Hwy Dallas North Carolina 28034Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 923-8001
- Bma South Gaston Dialysis4.13 miles away710 West Hudson Blvd. Gastonia North Carolina 28052CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 867-3417
- Belmont Dialysis Center6.01 miles away5010 Medical Care Court Belmont North Carolina 28012Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 827-2931
- Bma Kings Mountain10.36 miles away604 Canterbury Rd Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 730-1270
- Davita Brookshire12.52 miles away5601 Tuckaseegee Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28208Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 395-6091
- Dialysis Clinic Inc Kings Mountain12.77 miles away1010 Shelby Road Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 15 (704) 739-9342
- Fmc Lincolnton Dialysis14.07 miles away1090 S Grove Street Ext Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Dialysis Stations: 30 (704) 736-9300