With an address in Gastonia, North Carolina, Courtland Terrace is one of only three nursing homes in the area. This nursing home proved to be a grade A facility, which is a high-end score. We also wanted to point out that this facility is located in a hospital. Typically, this indicates that more intensive medical services are available. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also quite good. It is hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Gastonia senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Gastonia, North Carolina Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in North Carolina Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Gastonia, North Carolina Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this place turned out to be a quality nursing home is it received an A+ in our inspections category. This is as good as it gets in this category. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to its first-rate profile, this facility also performed well in our short-term care area. In fact, it received a score of A in the category. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final item we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 6.7 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Courtland Terrace?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a dominant long-term care grade. Indeed, this ended up being its third strongest category score. In that category, we awarded this facility a score of A-. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The last category we scored was nursing, where this nursing home was awarded a B. Although this ended up being its weakest category grade, this is still a good grade. The nursing score includes several data points, however, the main consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a resident at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Courtland Terrace Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Courtland Terrace, 13.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Courtland Terrace, 4.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Courtland Terrace, 8.28% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Courtland Terrace, 12.66% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Courtland Terrace, 26.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Courtland Terrace, 2.14% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Courtland Terrace, 100% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Courtland Terrace, 13.48% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Many argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Courtland Terrace, 17.2% of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Courtland Terrace, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Courtland Terrace, 17.2% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Courtland Terrace, 10.8% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Courtland Terrace, 61.13% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Caromont Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.49 miles away2525 Court Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28052Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 834-4891
- Atrium Health Kings MountainAcute Care Hospitals 12.34 miles away706 W King St Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 739-3601
- Atrium Health LincolnAcute Care Hospitals 15.57 miles away433 Mcalister Rd Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Government - Hospital District or Authority(980) 212-2000
- Carolinas Medical Center/Behav HealthAcute Care Hospitals 17.37 miles away1000 Blythe Blvd Charlotte North Carolina 28203Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 355-2000
- Novant Health Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.04 miles away200 Hawthorne Lane Box 33549 Charlotte North Carolina 28233Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 384-4000
- Novant Health Huntersville Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.65 miles away10030 Gilead Road Huntersville North Carolina 28078Voluntary non-profit - Private(704) 316-4000
- Atrium Health PinevilleAcute Care Hospitals 19.33 miles away10628 Park Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28210Government - Hospital District or Authority(704) 379-5000
- Fresenius Medical Care Gastonia1.07 miles away348 Burtonwood Dr Gastonia North Carolina 28054CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (704) 864-8863
- Fresenius Kidney Care North Gaston2.63 miles away1510 Lower Dallas Hwy Dallas North Carolina 28034Dialysis Stations: 12 (704) 923-8001
- Bma South Gaston Dialysis4.13 miles away710 West Hudson Blvd. Gastonia North Carolina 28052CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (704) 867-3417
- Belmont Dialysis Center6.01 miles away5010 Medical Care Court Belmont North Carolina 28012Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 827-2931
- Bma Kings Mountain10.36 miles away604 Canterbury Rd Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 18 (704) 730-1270
- Davita Brookshire12.52 miles away5601 Tuckaseegee Rd Charlotte North Carolina 28208Dialysis Stations: 10 (704) 395-6091
- Dialysis Clinic Inc Kings Mountain12.77 miles away1010 Shelby Road Kings Mountain North Carolina 28086Dialysis Stations: 15 (704) 739-9342
- Fmc Lincolnton Dialysis14.07 miles away1090 S Grove Street Ext Lincolnton North Carolina 28092Dialysis Stations: 30 (704) 736-9300