Countryside Health Care of Milford is located in Milford, Massachusetts, a city with 28,061 people. With an B+ overall grade, we rated this nursing home in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. Based on our analysis, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. This nursing home is better in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Countryside Health Care of Milford
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - City
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality facility overall, this nursing home really excelled in the area of short-term care, where it received an A. Few facilities fared better in this category. Short-term care grades are generally employed to measure a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must offer better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Adding to this nursing home's list of strengths, it also received an excellent nursing grade. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Our nursing rating is based on a variety of subcategories. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Countryside Health Care of Milford?
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a score of A- for our long-term care score. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. Once we finished looking at the quantity of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 96 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Moving on to inspections, it appears this nursing home has received quality government inspections in recent years as well. We gave it a B- in this category. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Countryside Health Care of Milford Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percent of long-term stay patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint could also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 1.95% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 91.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Countryside Health Care of Milford, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
- Milford Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.95 miles away14 Prospect Street Milford Massachusetts 01757Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 473-1190
- Landmark Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.79 miles away115 Cass Avenue Woonsocket Rhode Island 02895Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 769-4100
- Metrowest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away115 Lincoln Street Framingham Massachusetts 01701Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 383-1000
- Umass Memorial Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 13.39 miles away55 Lake Avenue North Worcester Massachusetts 01655Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 334-1000
- Marlborough HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14 miles away157 Union Street Marlborough Massachusetts 01752Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 481-5000
- St Vincent HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.36 miles away123 Summer Street Worcester Massachusetts 01608Proprietary(508) 363-5000
- Westwood Pembroke Health SystemsPsychiatric 17.13 miles away45 Clapboardtree Street Westwood Massachusetts 02090Proprietary(617) 762-7764
- Norwood HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.97 miles away800 Washington Street Norwood Massachusetts 02062Proprietary(781) 769-4000
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Blackstone Valley2.56 miles away42 Cape Road Milford Massachusetts 01757CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 634-4331
- Dialysis Center of Woonsocket10.62 miles away2100 Diamond Hill Road Woonsocket Rhode Island 02895CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (401) 765-4995
- Fresenius Medical Care Framingham11.23 miles away110 Mt. Wayte Ave. Framingham Massachusetts 01702CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 628-3801
- Fresenius Medical Care of Marlborough11.71 miles away360 Cedar Hill Street Suite 3 Marlborough Massachusetts 01752CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (508) 460-9250
- Bio-Medical Applications of Massachusetts Inc12.21 miles away867 Grafton Street Worcester Massachusetts 01604Dialysis Stations: 16 (203) 387-9332
- University Dialysis Center (Bma of Shrewsbury)12.64 miles away239-243 Boston Turnpike Road Shrewsbury Massachusetts 01545Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 753-0886
- U-Mass Memorial Health Care Systems13.09 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Lake Avenue North Rm h7-331 Worcester Massachusetts 01655Dialysis Stations: 13 (774) 442-3814
- Freedom Center of Worcester13.61 miles away1 Innovation Drive Suite 110 Worcester Massachusetts 01605Dialysis Stations: 6 (508) 767-3950