Country Villa South Convalescent Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Los Angeles, California. With a bottom of the barrel overall grade of F, this facility didn't fare well in our assessment. We rated this as one of the bottom 10 rated facilities in Los Angeles. Given that the city offers more than 70 other facilities, you will probably be able to find a better option here. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is nursing, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Country Villa South Convalescent Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Country Villa South Convalescent Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Los Angeles senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Even though this facility's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it didn't perform as badly in the area of nursing. We gave it a B- for that category. Our nursing rating looks at the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of training of the nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It scored well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home only received a D for its long-term care grade, which is actually one of its more favorable category scores. For residents in need of a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Country Villa South Convalescent Center?
This nursing home did not receive favorable inspection reports in recent years. In fact, it only received a grade of D for its inspection grade. Our inspection scores factor in many items on the facility's inspection reports. When you see too many deficiencies on the inspection reports, this is generally a bad sign. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This facility had 10 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a risk to patient safety or health. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated is short-term care. It received an F for this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. Our short-term care scores are crucial for people in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Given its weak grade in this area, we weren't surprised to learn this place offers far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. The last statistic we considered in this category is the number of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 2.7 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Country Villa South Convalescent Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 10.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 1.02% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 3.21% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 16.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 8.25% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 99.3% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 8.67% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 8.27% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 8.27% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 5.86% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Country Villa South Convalescent Center, 82.08% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 34 other nursing homes
- Ronald Reagan U C L a Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.39 miles away757 Westwood Plaza Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6301
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 3.45 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Providence Saint John's Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away2121 Santa Monica Blvd Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 829-5511
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.92 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Santa Monica - Ucla Med Ctr & Orthopaedic HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.3 miles away1250 16th Street Santa Monica California 90404Voluntary non-profit - Private(310) 319-4000
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 6.9 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.35 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- u.s. Renal Care Culver City0.84 miles away9808 Venice Blvd., Suite 200 Culver City California 90232Dialysis Stations: 18 (310) 841-0500
- Fmc-Culver City Dialysis0.94 miles away9432 Venice Blvd. Culver City California 90230CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (310) 836-2237
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- West Los Angeles1.04 miles awayDialysis Unit 6041 Cadillac Avenue, Suite 442 Los Angeles California 90034Dialysis Stations: 4 (323) 857-3245
- Davita-Century City Dialysis Center2.35 miles away10630 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles California 90025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 954-2700
- u.s. Renal Care West Los Angeles Dialysis2.39 miles away1801 S. La Cienega Blvd. Los Angeles California 90035CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (310) 840-5688
- Davita-Beverlywood Dialysis2.41 miles away2080 Century Park East, Suite 210 Los Angeles California 90067Dialysis Stations: 13 (310) 772-0224
- Kidney Dialysis Center of Baldwin Hills, LLC3.2 miles away3705 S. La Brea Avenue Los Angeles California 90016Dialysis Stations: 17 (323) 293-4488
- Davita-Mar Vista3.39 miles away2020 Santa Monica Blvd., Suite 100 & 120 Santa Monica California 90404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (310) 453-4900