Country Oaks Care Center is an average-sized facility in Pomona, California. This is a relatively poor nursing home, with an overall grade of D. Based on our assessment, we would be very reluctant to recommend this facility. The only positive thing we can really say about this place is that it did not receive any F's in in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Country Oaks Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this place overall, we awarded it a B for our inspections rating. This grade is far more impressive than the place's overall score. Arguably the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is typically best to avoid places that have too many severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 10 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received its next best category score in the category of short-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of C in this area, which is a decent score. In our short-term care category, we endeavor to craft a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. The facility offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Country Oaks Care Center?
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is not a bad score. Our nursing grade consists of several factors, however, the most important consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, while this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours, it excelled in a few of our quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it did very well in this subcategory.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's weakest category is long-term care, which is the final area we looked at. For this area, we gave this facility a D. If you are seeking anything other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is more than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Country Oaks Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Country Oaks Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Country Oaks Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Country Oaks Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Country Oaks Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Country Oaks Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Country Oaks Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Country Oaks Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Country Oaks Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
In Country Oaks Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Country Oaks Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Country Oaks Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Pomona, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Pomona, California has 9 other nursing homes
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.34 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.04 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.89 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.29 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.21 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- Davita-Pomona Dialysis1.48 miles away2111 N. Garey Avenue Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 596-9997
- Fmc-Garey Dialysis Center Partnership1.76 miles away150 E. Arrow Highway Pomona California 91767CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (909) 593-5863
- Pomona Dialysis Center, Inc.2.79 miles away255 E. Bonita Avenue, Building 1 Ste 200 Pomona California 91767Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 784-2949
- Davita-Pomona Valley Dialysis2.91 miles away2703 S Towne Avenue Pomona California 91766CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 590-4930
- Davita-Montclair Dialysis Center3.47 miles away9142 Monte Vista Ave Montclair California 91763CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (909) 626-6505
- Davita-Chino Dialysis4.14 miles away4445 Riverside Drive Chino California 91710CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (909) 464-0347
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.4.29 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802
- Ontario Holt Dialysis Center, Inc.4.45 miles away1310 West Holt Avenue Ontario California 91762Dialysis Stations: 28 (909) 986-0230