Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation is one of seven available facilities in Denton, Texas. With an overall score of C, this appears to be a decent facility. Based on all of the relevant data, there are certainly much worse nursing homes out there. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home outperformed its overall grade in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best scores in this area with an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a positive grade in our long-term care category. We awarded this facility an above average grade of B+ in this category. When facilities receive this kind of score in this category it is a good sign for resident care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. Once we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 99.27007 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is often a deadly illness for nursing home patients so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed was short-term care. This nursing home's was given a low-end short-term care score where it received an F. Short-term care scores are meaningful for people requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a vast scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
The last area we rated is nursing, which proved to be this facility's worst area. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this area, which is certainly very disappointing. Our nursing rating is largely tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided a meager 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is not a very impressive figure. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents who sustained falls leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents that were given antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 4.81% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression. Some experts argue that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 94.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that remained mobile levels. Many argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Scores for Denton, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Denton, Texas has 6 other nursing homes
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DentonAcute Care Hospitals 2.26 miles away3000 N I-35 Denton Texas 76201Voluntary non-profit - Private(940) 898-7000
- Medical City DentonAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away3535 South i35 East Denton Texas 76210Proprietary(940) 384-3535
- The Heart Hospital Baylor DentonAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away2801 South Mayhill Road Denton Texas 76208Physician(940) 220-0600
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Flower MoundAcute Care Hospitals 13.61 miles away4400 Long Prairie Road Flower Mound Texas 75028Proprietary(972) 419-1530
- Medical Center of LewisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 15.07 miles away500 West Main Street Lewisville Texas 75057Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 420-1000
- Baylor Medical Center at Trophy ClubAcute Care Hospitals 17.13 miles away2850 E State Highway 114 Roanoke Texas 76262Proprietary(817) 837-4600
- Baylor Medical Center at FriscoAcute Care Hospitals 19.46 miles away5601 Warren Parkway Frisco Texas 75034Proprietary(214) 618-2000
- Renal Center of North Denton, Lllp2.39 miles away4309 Mesa Dr Denton Texas 76207CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (940) 566-2701
- Mission Dialysis Services, LLC4.84 miles away3305 Unicorn Lake Blvd Denton Texas 76210Dialysis Stations: 13 (940) 387-4592
- Liberty Dialysis Lake Lewisville7.29 miles away3400 Corinth Parkway Suite 130 Denton Texas 76208Dialysis Stations: 16 (940) 497-1414
- Highland Village Dialysis12.13 miles away2700 Village Pkwy Lewisville Texas 75077Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 317-5609
- Renal Center of Flower Mound, LLC13.07 miles away4941 Long Prairie Rd Flower Mound Texas 75028Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 537-5572
- Us Renal Care Tarrant Dialysis Flower Mound14.42 miles away785 Cross Timbers Suite 145 Flower Mound Texas 75028Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 471-9499
- Liberty Dialysis of South Lewisville17.03 miles away101 E Southwest Pkwy Lewisville Texas 75067Dialysis Stations: 17 (469) 549-7424
- Renal Center of Lewisville17.29 miles away1600 Waters Ridge Drive Suite B Lewisville Texas 75057CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (972) 436-7211