Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation is one of a mere three facilities in Denton, Texas. With an overall rating of B-, this looks like a middle of the pack facility. Based on our ratings, there are definitely far worse nursing homes out there. The best part of this place's report card is its stellar inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Denton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this place really excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Few facilities performed better in this area. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a positive long-term care grade. Indeed, we gave it a B+ in this category, which happens to be one of our better. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 97.97298 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
The third best category we awarded this facility in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a C. Short-term care ratings are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. It doesn't appear that this facility provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final metric we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The last area we assessed is nursing, which is this facility's least impressive area. It received a lowly F in this area, which is obviously very disappointing. The nursing rating assesses many components, however, the main consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This place provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents that were given antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 4.84% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are showing signs of depression. Some experts argue that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 93.69% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.58% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that remained mobile levels. Many argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DentonAcute Care Hospitals 2.26 miles away3000 N I-35 Denton Texas 76201Voluntary non-profit - Private(940) 898-7000
- Medical City DentonAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away3535 South i35 East Denton Texas 76210Proprietary(940) 384-3535
- The Heart Hospital Baylor DentonAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away2801 South Mayhill Road Denton Texas 76208Physician(940) 220-0600
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Flower MoundAcute Care Hospitals 13.61 miles away4400 Long Prairie Road Flower Mound Texas 75028Proprietary(972) 419-1530
- Medical Center of LewisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 15.07 miles away500 West Main Street Lewisville Texas 75057Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 420-1000
- Baylor Medical Center at Trophy ClubAcute Care Hospitals 17.13 miles away2850 E State Highway 114 Roanoke Texas 76262Proprietary(817) 837-4600
- Baylor Medical Center at FriscoAcute Care Hospitals 19.46 miles away5601 Warren Parkway Frisco Texas 75034Proprietary(214) 618-2000
- Renal Center of North Denton, Lllp2.39 miles away4309 Mesa Dr Denton Texas 76207CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (940) 566-2701
- Mission Dialysis Services, LLC4.84 miles away3305 Unicorn Lake Blvd Denton Texas 76210Dialysis Stations: 13 (940) 387-4592
- Liberty Dialysis Lake Lewisville7.29 miles away3400 Corinth Parkway Suite 130 Denton Texas 76208Dialysis Stations: 16 (940) 497-1414
- Highland Village Dialysis12.13 miles away2700 Village Pkwy Lewisville Texas 75077Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 317-5609
- Renal Center of Flower Mound, LLC13.07 miles away4941 Long Prairie Rd Flower Mound Texas 75028Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 537-5572
- Us Renal Care Tarrant Dialysis Flower Mound14.42 miles away785 Cross Timbers Suite 145 Flower Mound Texas 75028Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 471-9499
- Liberty Dialysis of South Lewisville17.03 miles away101 E Southwest Pkwy Lewisville Texas 75067Dialysis Stations: 17 (469) 549-7424
- Renal Center of Lewisville17.29 miles away1600 Waters Ridge Drive Suite B Lewisville Texas 75057CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (972) 436-7211