Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation is one of seven available facilities in Denton, Texas. With an overall score of C, this appears to be a decent facility. Based on all of the relevant data, there are certainly much worse nursing homes out there. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home outperformed its overall grade in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best scores in this area with an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively insignificant. This facility was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received a great long-term care score. In fact, we gave it one of our best scores in this area with a grade of A-. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is usually a good sign for patient care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. After considering the volume of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 96.969696 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a life or death illness for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second lowest category is short-term care, where it received a grade of just D in that area. This is a relatively poor score. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Given its weak rating in this area, we weren't shocked to find that this facility provided substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most nursing homes. The last statistic we considered in this area is the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home. This was well below average.
The next category we graded is nursing, which is this nursing home's weakest area. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this area, which is clearly concerning. In determining a nursing home's nursing score, we assess the amount of time nurses are caring for patients as well as the levels of training of those nurses. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily, this facility's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents which have suffered a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffered from UTI's. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 4.66% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients exhibiting signs of depression. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 94.73% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cottonwood Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Scores for Denton, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Denton, Texas has 6 other nursing homes
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DentonAcute Care Hospitals 2.26 miles away3000 N I-35 Denton Texas 76201Voluntary non-profit - Private(940) 898-7000
- Medical City DentonAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away3535 South i35 East Denton Texas 76210Proprietary(940) 384-3535
- The Heart Hospital Baylor DentonAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away2801 South Mayhill Road Denton Texas 76208Physician(940) 220-0600
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Flower MoundAcute Care Hospitals 13.61 miles away4400 Long Prairie Road Flower Mound Texas 75028Proprietary(972) 419-1530
- Medical Center of LewisvilleAcute Care Hospitals 15.07 miles away500 West Main Street Lewisville Texas 75057Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 420-1000
- Baylor Medical Center at Trophy ClubAcute Care Hospitals 17.13 miles away2850 E State Highway 114 Roanoke Texas 76262Proprietary(817) 837-4600
- Baylor Medical Center at FriscoAcute Care Hospitals 19.46 miles away5601 Warren Parkway Frisco Texas 75034Proprietary(214) 618-2000
- Renal Center of North Denton, Lllp2.39 miles away4309 Mesa Dr Denton Texas 76207CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (940) 566-2701
- Mission Dialysis Services, LLC4.84 miles away3305 Unicorn Lake Blvd Denton Texas 76210Dialysis Stations: 13 (940) 387-4592
- Liberty Dialysis Lake Lewisville7.29 miles away3400 Corinth Parkway Suite 130 Denton Texas 76208Dialysis Stations: 16 (940) 497-1414
- Highland Village Dialysis12.13 miles away2700 Village Pkwy Lewisville Texas 75077Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 317-5609
- Renal Center of Flower Mound, LLC13.07 miles away4941 Long Prairie Rd Flower Mound Texas 75028Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 537-5572
- Us Renal Care Tarrant Dialysis Flower Mound14.42 miles away785 Cross Timbers Suite 145 Flower Mound Texas 75028Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 471-9499
- Liberty Dialysis of South Lewisville17.03 miles away101 E Southwest Pkwy Lewisville Texas 75067Dialysis Stations: 17 (469) 549-7424
- Renal Center of Lewisville17.29 miles away1600 Waters Ridge Drive Suite B Lewisville Texas 75057CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (972) 436-7211