The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation is an average-sized facility in Cedar Park, Texas. This facility received an overall grade of B-, which is a respectable score. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Cedar Park. We were also pleased to discover that this nursing home received consistently decent grades in all four of our categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
1500 Cottonwood Creek Trail,
Cedar Park TX 78613
96.41% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a positive long-term care score. Indeed, we awarded it a B in this category, which happens to be one of our better. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a proven method to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the elderly population. This place was also able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Although it had 1.78 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted metric was better than most facilities since it had more complex patients.
Does this page answer your questions about The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. There are several criteria included in this grade. Most of the subcategories are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This particular facility provided just 3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. While this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did very well in this statistic. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving patients at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our next category, this facility was awarded a grade of C in short-term care, which is generally a respectable score. Short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, this nursing home offers both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities offer both. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This proved to be more of a strength for this facility. In fact, we found that it outperformed the majority of facilities in the nation in this area with 54.4 percent of its residents returning home. This is a higher rate than most facilities.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 4.7% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 95.06% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In The Springs Healthcare & Rehabilitation, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Cedar Park, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Cedar Park, Texas has 3 other nursing homes
- Cedar Park Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.39 miles away1401 Medical Parkway Cedar Park Texas 78613Proprietary(512) 528-7000
- Baylor Scott & White Emergency Medical Center at CAcute Care Hospitals 1.05 miles away900 East Whitestone Blvd Cedar Park Texas 78613Government - Hospital District or Authority(512) 684-4911
- Round Rock Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.04 miles away2400 Round Rock Ave Round Rock Texas 78681Proprietary(512) 341-1000
- Scott & White Hospital-Round RockAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away300 University Blvd Round Rock Texas 78664Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 509-0100
- Seton Medical Center WilliamsonAcute Care Hospitals 9.62 miles away201 Seton Parkway Round Rock Texas 78664Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-0000
- Ascension Seton NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 9.72 miles away11113 Research Boulevard Austin Texas 78759Voluntary non-profit - Private(512) 324-6000
- North Austin Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.37 miles away12221 Mopac Expressway North Austin Texas 78758Proprietary(512) 901-1000
- Northwest Hills Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away6818 Austin Ctr Blvd Suite 100 Austin Texas 78731Proprietary(512) 346-1994
- Cedar Park Dialysis Center1.16 miles away1720 E Whitestone Blvd Cedar Park Texas 78613Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 528-8478
- Davita Leander Dialysis2.37 miles away2906 S Bagdad Rd Ste 120 Leander Texas 78641Dialysis Stations: 16 (512) 260-4102
- Fresenius Medical Care of Cedar Park2.92 miles away1201 North Lakeline Blvd. Suite 100 Cedar Park Texas 78613Dialysis Stations: 17 (512) 259-1329
- Satellite Health Care, Inc.6.01 miles away16010 Park Valley Drive Suite 100 Round Rock Texas 78681CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (512) 275-0100
- Round Rock Dialysis7.04 miles away1800 Round Rock Avenue Round Rock Texas 78681Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 310-8797
- Scott & White Round Rock Dialysis Center7.33 miles away2120 North Mays St Suite 230 Round Rock Texas 78664Dialysis Stations: 18 (512) 238-2900
- Nna - Roundrock8.38 miles away1499 E Old Settlers Blvd Suite A Round Rock Texas 78664Dialysis Stations: 20 (512) 671-8012
- Madison Dialysis, LLC9.55 miles away11150 Research Blvd. Austin Texas 78759Dialysis Stations: 12 (512) 342-1097