Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center is a nursing home located in El Cajon, California, which has 165,433 people. With an overall rating of C, this looks like a solid facility. As far as we can see, this facility looks like a solid choice for quite a few people. This facility did not fare well in every category we looked at, but it didn't receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home earned a decent overall rating, its inspections rating is notably better than its overall score. Due to a strong government inspection report this year, it earned one of our better scores in that area with a B+. Our inspection scores are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple of minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a favorable grade in our short-term care category. We gave this nursing home a better than average grade of B+ in that category. In the area of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The last metric we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-, which is a decent grade. There are a variety of factors included in this grade. Many of the datapoints are tied to nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually fared better in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is long-term care, is this nursing home's weakest category. We gave this facility a grade of D in that area. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After we finished assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 95.72% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for El Cajon, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? El Cajon, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.38 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 9.53 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.65 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.92 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 13.17 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.52 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.67 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Fmc-Balboa East County0.24 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon2.45 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center3.99 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis7.78 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College7.99 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego9.24 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise9.98 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-East Lakes10.06 miles away2391 Boswell Road Chula Vista California 91914CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (619) 397-0939