Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center is a nursing home located in El Cajon, California, which has 165,433 people. With an overall rating of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. If you are not satisfied with this facility's mediocre overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are five other nursing homes in El Cajon. The best thing we can say about this facility is that it didn't receive any F's in in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on El Cajon senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not a highlight, it actually received a somewhat respectable score in the category of inspections. We awarded it a B- for this area, which is not bad. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This indicates that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to be an immediate risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. Nursing scores are mostly associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This place provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a relatively low total compared to most other nursing homes. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's third highest category was its short-term care score, where it received a C. In determining our short-term care scores, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 4.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next category, this facility was awarded a grade of C for long-term care, which is generally a decent grade. With our long-term care category, we analyze the quantity of care provided by a nursing home, as well as a few qualitative measures. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is more than the majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who developed pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients who have experienced falls which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who experienced urinary tract infections. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term patients who are administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 5.83% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 95.65% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cottonwood Canyon Healthcare Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for El Cajon, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? El Cajon, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.38 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 9.53 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.65 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.92 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 13.17 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.52 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.67 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Fmc-Balboa East County0.24 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon2.45 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center3.99 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis7.78 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College7.99 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego9.24 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise9.98 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-East Lakes10.06 miles away2391 Boswell Road Chula Vista California 91914CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (619) 397-0939