Cottages of Lake St Louis is a small nursing home located in Lake Saint Louis, Missouri. With an overall rating of B+, this looks like a high quality nursing home. This facility truly has plenty going for it. This place is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Cottages of Lake St Louis
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2885 Technology Drive,
Lake Saint Louis MO 63367
90.16% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of earning a strong overall grade, this facility fared well in short-term care. We awarded it an A for that category. Our short-term care grades are likely more important for patients needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to patient health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Cottages of Lake St Louis?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. There are quite a few subcategories included in this area. Most of the datapoints reflect staffing levels. This facility provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Missouri in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning residents even once per day.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at is long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a decent score in this category, with a B-. Even though this wasn't as favorable as a few of its other grades, it is still not a bad grade. In our long-term care score, we weigh the quantity of care offered by a facility, as well as a series of quality data points. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 93.44262 percent of its residents, which is a few points below what we expected. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cottages of Lake St Louis Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term residents who experienced falls leading to severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 4.19% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 88.53% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility.
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cottages of Lake St Louis, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Ssm Health Saint Joseph Hospital-Lake Saint LouisAcute Care Hospitals 2.05 miles away100 Medical Plaza Lake Saint Louis Missouri 63367Voluntary non-profit - Church(636) 625-5200
- Progress West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.9 miles away2 Progress Point Pkwy O Fallon Missouri 63368Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 344-1000
- Barnes-Jewish St Peters HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.69 miles away10 Hospital Dr Saint Peters Missouri 63376Voluntary non-profit - Other(636) 916-9000
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 15.72 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.75 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Mercy Hospital LincolnCritical Access Hospitals 17.64 miles away1000 East Cherry Street Troy Missouri 63379Government - Local(636) 528-8551
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.97 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 18.59 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Lake St Louis at Home2.06 miles away200 Brevco Plaza Suite 202 Lake Saint Louis Missouri 63367Dialysis Stations: 4 (636) 625-4460
- Lake St Louis Dialysis2.06 miles away200 Brevco Plaza Ste 202 Lake Saint Louis Missouri 63367Dialysis Stations: 14 (636) 561-4799
- Villa of Waterbury3.41 miles away929 Waterbury Falls Drive O Fallon Missouri 63368Dialysis Stations: 6 (636) 329-0697
- Fresenius Medical Services O Fallon5.77 miles away4663 Highway K O Fallon Missouri 63368Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 300-4036
- Fmc - Wentzville6.45 miles away1534 West Meyer Road Wentzville Missouri 63385Dialysis Stations: 21 (636) 887-4046
- Saint Charles County Dialysis8.23 miles away335 Mid Rivers Mall Dr Saint Peters Missouri 63376Dialysis Stations: 21 (636) 970-3730
- St Peters Dialysis10.4 miles away300 1st Executive Ave #A Saint Peters Missouri 63376Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 441-6070
- Us Renal Care St Charles Dialysis11.6 miles away2655 Muegge Road Suite 101 Saint Charles Missouri 63303Dialysis Stations: 12 (636) 447-2490