Cottage Grove Nursing Home is a senior living facility in Jackson, Mississippi, a city with a population of 175,127 people. This is a well below average nursing home, with an overall grade of D. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 10 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Cottage Grove Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility favorably overall, we want to draw your attention to its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Our inspection scores are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. Most importantly, you should avoid nursing homes with severe deficiencies associated with risks to resident well being. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The next best area we awarded this nursing home in any category came in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. Our long-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's amount of nursing care. This includes a broad range of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine medical services. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinates 97.58064 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cottage Grove Nursing Home?
We were stunned to find that this facility also excelled in nursing. We awarded it an D for that category, which is one of our best grades. There are a number of criteria within this category. Most of these subcategories reflect nurse staffing. This nursing home offered a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is far below average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our next category, this nursing home really did not fare very well here either. Due to a poor grade of F in short-term care, this is really as terrible as it gets. In calculating our short-term care grades, we look at a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is often a useful assessment of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. With a score this poor in this category, we weren't stunned to discover that this facility was well below average in the two key staffing metrics we assess. In fact, it offered substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other nursing homes. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 3.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cottage Grove Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 10.98% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 3.19% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 3.13% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 20.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for treating a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 2.34% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 93.38% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 19.45% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing. Some experts argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 23.26% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels.
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 23.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 13.82 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cottage Grove Nursing Home, 68.23% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Jackson, MS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Jackson, Mississippi has 9 other nursing homes
- St Dominic-Jackson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away969 Lakeland Dr Jackson Mississippi 39216Voluntary non-profit - Church(601) 200-2000
- University of Mississippi Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away2500 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39216Government - State(601) 984-4100
- Mississippi Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.97 miles away1225 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39202Voluntary non-profit - Private(601) 968-1000
- Merit Health River OaksAcute Care Hospitals 5.94 miles away1030 River Oaks Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 932-1030
- Brentwood Behavioral Healthcare of MsPsychiatric 5.99 miles away3531 East Lakeland Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 936-2024
- Merit Health CentralAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away1850 Chadwick Dr Jackson Mississippi 39204Proprietary(601) 376-1000
- Merit Health RankinAcute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away350 Crossgates Blvd Brandon Mississippi 39042Proprietary(601) 825-2811
- Merit Health MadisonAcute Care Hospitals 16.06 miles away161 River Oaks Drive Canton Mississippi 39046Proprietary(601) 855-4000
- Isd Renal Inc2.67 miles away571 Beasley Rd Suite a (in-Center Care) Jackson Mississippi 39206CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (601) 957-1999
- Medical Mall Dialysis2.8 miles away350 W. Woodrow Wilson Md-224 Jackson Mississippi 39213Dialysis Stations: 48 (601) 815-6345
- Fmc Jackson2.88 miles away381 Medical Drive Jackson Mississippi 39216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (601) 981-9652
- Fresenius Medical Care Southwest Jackson Home3.64 miles away1421 N State Street Suite 501 Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 2 (601) 292-1545
- Bio-Medical Applications of Mississippi, Inc.4.5 miles away656 North State Street Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 10 (601) 944-0151
- Isd Renal Inc6.8 miles away1015 I-20 Frontage Rd Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (601) 373-9154
- Fmc Southwest Jackson6.99 miles away1856 Hospital Drive Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (601) 371-2896
- Isd Renal Inc7.57 miles away1828 Raymond Road Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (601) 373-7897