Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home located in Jackson, Mississippi. We gave this nursing home a C overall, which is not a bad grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Jackson, which is a B-. Based on our assessment, this nursing home likely wouldn't be a bad choice. The best part of this nursing home's report card is is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home really outperformed its overall grade in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest scores in that category with an A-. Our inspection grades are based on several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple of minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a solid grade in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. Long-term care grades focus on a facility's assistance with daily living rather than the skilled nursing or medical services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. One of the factors we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 95.780594 percent of its residents. This nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of C, which is a decent grade. Our nursing score is largely associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we scored was short-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is an abysmal grade. This is obviously a major concern. In computing these short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. With its grade in this category, we were not stunned to learn that this place is well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we looked at. The last measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.3 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 10.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 3.26% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients who experienced falls which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 3.03% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who sustained a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 20.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 22.76% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 2.3% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Some would argue this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 93.75% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 18.95% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 20.82% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 1.95 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 20.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 13.63 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 69.18% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Jackson, MS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Jackson, Mississippi has 9 other nursing homes
- St Dominic-Jackson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away969 Lakeland Dr Jackson Mississippi 39216Voluntary non-profit - Church(601) 200-2000
- University of Mississippi Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away2500 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39216Government - State(601) 984-4100
- Mississippi Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.97 miles away1225 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39202Voluntary non-profit - Private(601) 968-1000
- Merit Health River OaksAcute Care Hospitals 5.94 miles away1030 River Oaks Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 932-1030
- Brentwood Behavioral Healthcare of MsPsychiatric 5.99 miles away3531 East Lakeland Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 936-2024
- Merit Health CentralAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away1850 Chadwick Dr Jackson Mississippi 39204Proprietary(601) 376-1000
- Merit Health RankinAcute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away350 Crossgates Blvd Brandon Mississippi 39042Proprietary(601) 825-2811
- Merit Health MadisonAcute Care Hospitals 16.06 miles away161 River Oaks Drive Canton Mississippi 39046Proprietary(601) 855-4000
- Isd Renal Inc2.67 miles away571 Beasley Rd Suite a (in-Center Care) Jackson Mississippi 39206CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (601) 957-1999
- Medical Mall Dialysis2.8 miles away350 W. Woodrow Wilson Md-224 Jackson Mississippi 39213Dialysis Stations: 48 (601) 815-6345
- Fmc Jackson2.88 miles away381 Medical Drive Jackson Mississippi 39216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (601) 981-9652
- Fresenius Medical Care Southwest Jackson Home3.64 miles away1421 N State Street Suite 501 Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 2 (601) 292-1545
- Bio-Medical Applications of Mississippi, Inc.4.5 miles away656 North State Street Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 10 (601) 944-0151
- Isd Renal Inc6.8 miles away1015 I-20 Frontage Rd Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (601) 373-9154
- Fmc Southwest Jackson6.99 miles away1856 Hospital Drive Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (601) 371-2896
- Isd Renal Inc7.57 miles away1828 Raymond Road Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (601) 373-7897