Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home located in Jackson, Mississippi. This is a decent facility with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Jackson. Based on our analysis, this nursing home has some redeeming qualities. The best part of this place's report card is its remarkable inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Jackson senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home really outperformed its overall grade in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest scores in that category with an A. Our inspection grades are based on several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received impressive long-term care marks in this assessment. We awarded them one of our higher scores in this category, with a grade of B. This turned out to be the nursing home's second best grade. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 87.5 percent of its patients. This is a bit less than we expected. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, at least this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation?
This nursing home's nursing grade appears to be one of its better features. The facility received a grade of B- in this category. Our nursing score focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of those nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It scored well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the fourth category, we gave this nursing home a grade of D in short-term care. This was the nursing home's weakest category grade. Sadly, this score pulled down the nursing home's overall profile to some degree. Our short-term care scores are presumably more critical for those needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we found that it provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 13.92% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 1.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients who experienced falls which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 0.85% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who sustained a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 20.19% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 13.72% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 1.35% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Some would argue this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 92.03% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 33.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 23.75% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 0.04 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 23.75% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 12.36% of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Pine Forest Health and Rehabilitation, 61.51% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Jackson, MS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Jackson, Mississippi has 5 other nursing homes
- St Dominic-Jackson Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away969 Lakeland Dr Jackson Mississippi 39216Voluntary non-profit - Church(601) 200-2000
- University of Mississippi Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away2500 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39216Government - State(601) 984-4100
- Mississippi Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.97 miles away1225 N State St Jackson Mississippi 39202Voluntary non-profit - Private(601) 968-1000
- Merit Health River OaksAcute Care Hospitals 5.94 miles away1030 River Oaks Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 932-1030
- Brentwood Behavioral Healthcare of MsPsychiatric 5.99 miles away3531 East Lakeland Drive Flowood Mississippi 39232Proprietary(601) 936-2024
- Merit Health CentralAcute Care Hospitals 6.84 miles away1850 Chadwick Dr Jackson Mississippi 39204Proprietary(601) 376-1000
- Merit Health RankinAcute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away350 Crossgates Blvd Brandon Mississippi 39042Proprietary(601) 825-2811
- Merit Health MadisonAcute Care Hospitals 16.06 miles away161 River Oaks Drive Canton Mississippi 39046Proprietary(601) 855-4000
- Isd Renal Inc2.67 miles away571 Beasley Rd Suite a (in-Center Care) Jackson Mississippi 39206CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (601) 957-1999
- Medical Mall Dialysis2.8 miles away350 W. Woodrow Wilson Md-224 Jackson Mississippi 39213Dialysis Stations: 48 (601) 815-6345
- Fmc Jackson2.88 miles away381 Medical Drive Jackson Mississippi 39216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (601) 981-9652
- Fresenius Medical Care Southwest Jackson Home3.64 miles away1421 N State Street Suite 501 Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 2 (601) 292-1545
- Bio-Medical Applications of Mississippi, Inc.4.5 miles away656 North State Street Jackson Mississippi 39202Dialysis Stations: 10 (601) 944-0151
- Isd Renal Inc6.8 miles away1015 I-20 Frontage Rd Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (601) 373-9154
- Fmc Southwest Jackson6.99 miles away1856 Hospital Drive Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (601) 371-2896
- Isd Renal Inc7.57 miles away1828 Raymond Road Jackson Mississippi 39204CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (601) 373-7897