Cortlandt Healthcare is one of just a couple available nursing homes located in Cortlandt Manor, New York. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack rating. Based on our analysis, this facility has some redeeming qualities. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's profile is its stellar inspection reports, which is addressed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our better grades in that category, with an A. This is a much better score than the facility's overall score, which was decent but certainly not elite. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This place was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies an immediate risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a strong grade in long-term care. This facility earned a grade of B+ in this category, which is one of our better scores. For patients seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 90.196075 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be slightly lower than we were hoping for but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Cortlandt Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we graded is short-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a grade of B- in this category. In determining our short-term care grades, we size up the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is generally a fair assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the number of residents that were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 5.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
The final category we scored was nursing, which turned out to be this facility's worst area. Sadly, it received an F in this area, which is obviously a major disappointment. Our nursing score analyzes the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these data points to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cortlandt Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents who have suffered falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents who were administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 13.2% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Some experts believe that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 91.26% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is critical to residents' health.
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cortlandt Healthcare, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.53 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Keller Ach (West Point)Acute Care - Department of Defense 7.16 miles away900 Washington Rd West Point New York 10996Department of Defense(845) 938-4034
- Northern Westchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.17 miles away400 East Main Street Mount Kisco New York 10549Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 666-1200
- Putnam Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.45 miles away670 Stoneleigh Avenue Carmel New York 10512Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 279-5711
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 14.41 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- St Luke's Cornwall HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.46 miles away70 Dubois Street Newburgh New York 12550Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 561-4400
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.18 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.41 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Davita Peekskill Cortlandt Dialysis Center1.25 miles away2050 East Main Street Suite 15 Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Dialysis Stations: 19 (914) 788-9326
- Yorktown Akc4.59 miles away2649 Strang Boulevard Dialysis Clinics, Inc Yorktown Heights New York 10598CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (914) 962-4005
- Friedwald Center for Dialysis13.14 miles away475 New Hempstead Road New City New York 10956Dialysis Stations: 9 (845) 678-2000
- Davita Celia Dill Dialysis Center13.48 miles away667 Stoneleigh Avenue Suite 123 Carmel New York 10512CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (845) 278-4150
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC13.85 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Liberty Hudson Valley Dialysis14.54 miles away4 Corwin Court Newburgh New York 12550CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (845) 534-9823
- Vestal Healthcare, LLC.15.37 miles away1485 Route 9d Wappingers Falls New York 12590Dialysis Stations: 12 (845) 838-8907
- Fishkill Dialysis Center15.42 miles away60 Merritt Blvd Suite 103 Fishkill New York 12524CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (845) 440-1280