Cortland Place is an average-sized nursing home located in Greenville, Rhode Island. We gave this facility an overall grade of B-. A score of this caliber requires some decent scores. This facility has a few things working in its favor. You should also take a look at this facility's category grades below. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Greenville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility really excelled in the area of short-term care, where it earned an A. Few facilities fared better in this area. If it was not for this area, this facility's overall score would have been much lower. Short-term care scores are crucial for individuals requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a vast scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Inspections is another category where this facility excelled. We gave this nursing home an B+ for our inspections category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite minor. This particular nursing home received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Does this page answer your questions about Cortland Place?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. There are a number of factors within this category. Most of these factors relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded was long-term care, was this nursing home's worst area. We awarded this nursing home a D in that category. This really is one of the few weak links in an otherwise impressive report card. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in long-term care may not provide the type of consistent 24/7 care that some other nursing homes provide. One of the data points we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 92.27273 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Cortland Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Cortland Place, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Cortland Place, 4.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Cortland Place, 2.86% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Cortland Place, 19.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Cortland Place, 15.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Cortland Place, 2.02% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Cortland Place, 93.99% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Cortland Place, 16.08% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Cortland Place, 17.13% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Cortland Place, 1.33 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Cortland Place, 17.13 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Cortland Place, 13.94 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Cortland Place, 77.03% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.12 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.19 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 8.59 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.72 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Landmark Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.6 miles away115 Cass Avenue Woonsocket Rhode Island 02895Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 769-4100
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 11.19 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.58 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Dialysis Center of Johnston4.28 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Davita North Providence Renal Center5.38 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- Bio-Medical Applications of Rhode Island5.99 miles away622 George Washington Highway Lincoln Rhode Island 02865Dialysis Stations: 17 (401) 333-4727
- Nna of Providence7.61 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Dialysis Center of Providence8.31 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna - Pawtucket8.87 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket9.53 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital10.32 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440